Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop Computer  » Computers  »
  • I believe it's a DIY friendly case because it's easy to open and access parts
  • The IO panel is made out thick plastics, and not the flimsy-like material that I've noticed on other brands
  • I'm almost certain that this is only a unique issue for the one that I own, but the emblem has fallen off and it doesn't hold into place
  • If you're looking to upgrade the ram, I would recommend sticking with 533 and 667 MHz

• by Jules Li

I purchased a used Optiplex 745 about a month ago and it’s a fairly decent computer. I just want to mention that this model is no longer manufactured by Dell, so it’s highly unlikely that you’ll be able to purchase it new. After checking a few websites online, the seem to be priced around 80 dollars used, which is reasonable. The Dell Optiplex line is intended for business customers, but I use it within my home office, and it’s more than capable.

One of the first things that I want to address is the tower. This model has the SFF(Small Form Factor) case, which I personally prefer in lieu of the mini tower. I believe it’s a DIY friendly case because it’s easy to open and access parts. I believe it’s great for someone that plans to update or change components regularly. The cover has a release latch, which eliminates the need to use tools to remove the cover. One tip that I want to give about the cover is to always match sure that it’s aligned properly when you’re putting it in place. The release latch has a tendency to get jammed if it’s not coordinated perfectly.

Dell

has a tradition of making top quality computers and I believe the Optiplex 745 lives up to that. It’s amazingly durable. The IO panel is made out thick plastics, and not the flimsy-like material that I’ve noticed on other brands. I’m almost certain that this is only a unique issue for the one that I own, but the emblem has fallen off and it doesn’t hold into place. This is only a minor issue, and I assume that it was caused by the previous owner.

In terms of speed, it’s quite efficient! I have Windows XP installed and it loads up quickly within about 15 seconds. Windows XP is essentially the same as on any other PC, so I don’t believe there’s any reason to go into specifics about the software. For anyone that may plan to use this PC with Windows Vista, I want to say that it’s fully compatible. I have installed Vista and it works fine, but I have yet to test it with the later Windows 7. The hardware is up to par so I don’t have any reason to doubt that it should work with Windows 7.

It comes equipped with a Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 internal video card. There ...

• are lags when playing heavy video games, but I would say that it’s up to par with expectations for an internal video card. Of course you can add an additional PCI video card as well. On the topic of video, I do want to make a point relating to using dual video. With the 745, the internal video card automatically disables when you insert a secondary card, which means you’ll need a dual PCI card if you want dual video. This is nothing major, but I wanted to mention it for anyone that plans to use it for dual video.

I’ve not found many computers that don’t have their own unique flaws, and this is the same when it comes to the Optiplex 745. One thing that I want to address specifically are the ram capabilities. The motherboard is supposed to supports speeds of 800 Mhz, 533 MHz, and 667 MHz. I believe this is a bit misleading because it actually doesn’t function with 2GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It has a total of four slots, and it gives an error no matter which slot you have it in. If you’re looking to upgrade the ram, I would recommend sticking with 533 and 667 MHz.

This

model comes with six usb ports. Of course that seems adequate, but I want to mention a small caveat. There are two at the front, and six located at the rear. The front ports are low power. Anything that high powered such as an external drive, isn’t recognized when plugged into the front ports.

Another slight flaw that I want to address is the fan ventilation. The fans tend to get dirty faster than any other PC that I’ve used. I believe this is due in part to the wide holes for the case ventilation. The ventilation holes are square, and they don’t have any additional mesh to assist with detracting dust. I often have to open the case and clean the fans, because if not the fans run louder. With the exception of dusty fans, the Optiplex 745 is amazingly quiet. You’ll notice that the fans run at full speed when it’s initially powered on, but once it’s in full operation there’s only a slight breeze.

It’s a great PC and I would certainly recommend it! I’ve always had great experiences with Dell PCs, and the 745 continues that mantra. Despite a few slight flaws, I’ve been very pleased with it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1931101594411031/k2311a1031/10.31.12