Cabin in The Woods movie
  • Since Halloween is just around the corner, I decided it was time to start watching (and reviewing) some horror films
  • It was nothing at all like I expected, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless
  • I must say, I don't think I've ever seen a film like it
  • It really is an interesting premise, and it only gets better as the film goes on
  • It truly is a one of a kind film, and I recommend it highly

• by Trey C.

Since Halloween is just around the corner, I decided it was time to start watching (and reviewing) some horror films! A recent, and extremely well-reviewed “horror film” that I missed in theaters so decided to rent was “Cabin in the Woods”. A family member of mine recommended it, and seeing as it got great reviews I decided I’d check it out! It was nothing at all like I expected, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless!

The reason that I have put “horror” in quotations is because this is not strictly a horror film. It is one of those rare, genre-bending films that can scare you, spellbind you, shock you, and make you laugh all within a few scenes of the film. It is campy at times, full of gore, and also extremely clever and innovative. I must say, I

don’t think I’ve ever seen a film like it.

The plot follows five, college-aged friends who decide to go on a trip to one of their cousin’s cabin, which is not so surprisingly located in the middle of nowhere and as the name states, in the woods. It seems like your typical horror film, 5 friends go to an isolated place and get killed with no one to save them.

Well, that assumption could not be more wrong. As the trailer reveals, the 5 have been selected by some sort of “company” to die, and that company controls the entire environment and what happens to them. So, as viewers, we are constantly switching back and forth between watching the 5 people in the woods, and watching the company making decisions and the outcome of those decisions. It really is an ...

• interesting premise, and it only gets better as the film goes on.

At times, the film does seem a bit ridiculous. It is pretty campy, but about halfway through the film I was wondering if it was going to get any better. Don’t worry, it does. In fact, it is one of the most creative films I’ve ever seen, once it really gets going.

There is plenty of gore, a lot of dark humor, and a great “conspiracy” undertone that really makes this film interesting. It is not too long with a duration of just an hour and a half, and it is really just pure entertainment, that is far from rut of the mill.

The acting isn’t great but that sort of adds to the film’s camp. The writing is brilliant, and it is surprising how brilliantly the story

is woven together, even though it does come off as a bit cheesy at times.

Overall, it is a pretty great film. The only thing is, you cannot go into it expecting one thing or another. You just have to sit back, be patient, and let the film slowly deliver. I went into this film expecting strictly horror, but it is far from that. It was a bit disappointing in that respect, but once I put my expectations aside I enjoyed it more and more. It truly is a one of a kind film, and I recommend it highly.

I would give this film an 8/10, two points off simply because it did not deliver as many scares as I had hoped, the acting was not great, and as innovative and creative as it was I do not think it was extremely memorable.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1126101594050131/k2311a1026/10.26.12