1 TB Western Digital My Passport USB Portable Hard drive
  • I love this version because it's modest in physical size, while being great in storage space
  • It's been about a month since I purchased it, and I paid 100 dollars for it
  • I believe it's an achievement to be able to fit 1 terabyte of storage into such a small device
  • It's very sleek and slender, which is not only convenient, but it's also eye-catching
  • I believe it's one of the best versions on the market today

• by Jules Li

This thing is truly awesome! I was recently in the market for an additional external storage drive, so I settled on this was. I’ve always had great experiences with Western Digital hard drives, and this one is no exception. I do a lot of traveling so size and convenience is important. I love this version because it’s modest in physical size, while being great in storage space. I should mention that I purchased the product through Amazon. It’s been about a month since I purchased it, and I paid 100 dollars for it. I certainly believe it’s well deserving of it’s price. I’m willing to pay a bit more if I feel like

I’m getting what I paid for, and in this case I do.

The name says it all, it really is approximately the size of a passport. Overall it’s 4.4 inches long, 3.2 inches wide, and 0.7 inches thick. It only weighs 6 ounces! My previous external storage drive was large and bulky, so this is a huge improvement. I don’t believe there are many drives that can compare. I believe it’s an achievement to be able to fit 1 terabyte of storage into such a small device. It’s very sleek and slender, which is not only convenient, but it’s also eye-catching. I have the color black but, it’s available in many colors include white,

blue and green.

The initial setup was a breeze! All I had to do was plug it into my computer and it’s instantly recognized. I use Windows 7 which has the drivers pre-installed, which is a huge plus. I ran into Windows Vista system once that didn’t detect the drive, but I was able to resolve the issue by updating the system drivers. It configures easily with Windows and it’s easy to manage via the Windows drive management software. I wanted to organize multiple partitions and I was able to easy create these using Windows drive management. If you want to partition the drive you should know that you have to completely format the drive first.

There ...

• 1 TB Western Digital My Passport USB Portable Hard drive
      are a wide array of security features included. With the type of work that I do, data security is important, so I see this as a huge plus. Password protection and hardware encryption are included. It’s a very easy process to setup hardware encryption. Has AES 256-bit hardware encryption. Windows 7 supports AES 256 bit, but some of the earlier operating systems don’t. I believe it’s an advantage to have 256-bit over the lower 192-bit due in part to the increased complexities that are related to 256-bit.

The data transfer rate is tremendous! There is a stark difference between the transfer time of this one and my older Western Digital. The max in

terms of transfer rate is 5 GBPS. It supports both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. Most computers that I use have USB 2.0, but I’ve experienced it with USB 3.0 and the speeds are astronomical. The rate at which this thing is able to transfer large movies, and other files is impressive. Although I don’t use USB 3.0 a lot now, I’m sure that I will upgrade to it in the future, so I’m glad that it comes equipped with 3.0.

When it comes to portability, and storage space, I don’t believe you’ll find a better hard drive! I believe it’s one of the best versions on the market today. I give it a 10/10, I highly recommend it!

Jimit Dhirajlal Malde says :

I’m a computer repair technician, and one issue I have all the time with my customers is, the famous,`a virus hijacked my computer and those precious pictures are inside’. Yeah, the prom, the honeymoon, or the newborn pictures are usually held without ransom. Most of the time we are dealing with malware of some sort that affects the Windows operating system files, but leaves the data intact. So, before I repair the computer, I rescue the pictures, and any other file they might value. However, not all repair technicians do this, most allege that the files are corrupted, which might be the case, but usually it really means they are too busy to rescue anything, don’t know how to do it, or will not do it unless paid big cash.

For one own’s sakes, the best thing to do is backing up the data before the computer gets infected, or the hard drive fails. For pictures I recommend backing up the original files into data discs, but for faster everyday files backups (music, movies, games, software etc.) is better to use an external hard drive.

The Western Digital My Passport 1 TB is an awesome way to carry large amounts of data in a tiny container, that is always available and secure. I love its dimensions, both physically and in bytes.

Also, the truly fast data transfers done with the USB 3.0 interface save time every day. Speaking of the USB connector, another great feature is that only requires a single USB port for power, while many external hard drives and enclosures, with form factor 2.5″, require two USB ports.

I highly recommend the Western Digital My Passport 1 TB external hard drive or other variant. :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3317101593400831/k2311a1017/10.17.12