Topiramate ( Topamax )  » Medicine  »
  • However, due to the amount of migranes I was getting and the cost of the medication, it was going to be impossible
  • I no longer had to avoid ceratin situations to avoid the triggers

• by Emilee

Topiramate, which is better known as Topamax is an anticonvulsant drug that is now also used for the treatment of migraines.

It wasn’t until November of 2011 that my doctor finally decided to do something about the migraines I’d be suffering for years. They went from 3-5 times a month to having them 4-6 times a week. It was unberable. I was unable to work or participate in my college corses. I was referred to a Neurologist who started me off on a medication

to take whenever a migraine occured. However, due to the amount of migranes I was getting and the cost of the medication, it was going to be impossible. He suggested a few different medications and we finally settled on Topiramate, or Topamax.

I started by taking only 25mg at night before bed. Withing a couple weeks I was migraine free. Typical symptoms from the medication include numbness and tingling in the hands and feet, weight loss, fatigue, cognitive difficulties, as well as eye pain. I ...

• already suffered from 2 of the 5 major side effects, so I felt like I had nothing to lose. For the first couple of the weeks I had an upset stomach, but once my body adjusted to the medication that went away. I can’t say that I’ve suffered from any side effects. My neurologist did temporirly stop the medication to see if the numbness and tingling would stop, despite having suffered from it for years.

After being on the medication for a little over a

month the migranes began to return so we upped the dosage to 50mg at night before bed. Once again, after a week or so I was migraine free. I had my life back. I no longer had to avoid ceratin situations to avoid the triggers. After a couple months of the 50mg dosage, I went up to 75mg. I take 25mg in the morning and 50mg at night before bed. I’ve been on the medication for nearly a year and it’s saved my life.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2612101593120731/k2311a1012/10.12.12