Darksiders II: Argul’s Tomb  » Games  »
2.5
  • This experience repeated itself in Darksiders II as well where the details were even more exemplified
  • I kept playing just because the DLC cost me around seven bucks of my hard-earned money
  • The only fun here is the different ways in which you can cut, snap, slash, shoot and stab and impale these boring swarms
  • This boss fight, I have to give it to the developers, is a very good one and the character development is amazing

• by Allan Mukherjee

I was never a fan of hack and slash video games in the first place. What turned people on in Devil May Cry, turned me off. I never used to go near that genre. The only reason I played Darksiders was because of the Havoc Physics it implemented in its gameplay. I have an ATI card and a game based on Havoc is always anticipated. Darksiders and Wrath somehow changed my whole perspective of a hack and slash game. The perfect imagery, Dynamic Graphics, Fluid Mechanics and particle retention of the game swept me of my feet. I somehow trudged through the monotonous battles just to explore and communicate with the plethora of exquisite surroundings.

This experience repeated itself in Darksiders II as well where the details were even more exemplified. But I have to say that the new DLC by THQ, popularized as Darksiders II: Argul’s Tomb is an arch nemesis to my new-found love for Hack

and Slash. Here is a first person account of my experiences with the latest DLC in the market. Death, the main character in Darksiders II is straightaway transported to a place called the Pinnacle. And yes, you will be retaining all your weapons, traits and level cap in the game. There he faces Ostegoth and a scenic video acts out there conversation. He tells Death that Argul, used to be the King of the Land of the Dead.

That was before the Bone Lord took over from him. But he recounts that Argul was buried somewhere because he was absolutely mad without any doubt. Not a major spoiler, so I’ll mention it here that the place he was buried was in fact the Pinnacle. This short, somewhat wannabe story ties the gameplay back to the main campaign. And from here starts the completely bald and bland ride. You start by smashing through foes that are covered and made up with ice. Then you start smashing through foes that are covered and made up with ice, again.

This goes on and on forever. I kept playing just because the DLC cost me around seven bucks of my hard-earned money. After a point of battling the unending horde you will be finally able to unlock the first dungeon. Guess what then? Yeah, Ice-man swarms. You will face other foes eventually but they are not worth mentioning. The only fun here is the different ways in which you can cut, snap, slash, shoot and stab and impale these boring swarms. And this is where it starts to seem as if you are playing Darksiders.

All this ends in a boss fight which gives you an access pass to the second dungeon. This boss fight, I have to give it to the developers, is a very good one and the character development is amazing. The patterns are hard to predict initially. Rest ...

• Darksiders II: Argul's Tomb
      assured the fight is going to last for a long time. The main hidden objective of all this which comprises of 70% of the gameplay is collecting the items that the beaten foes or bosses drop. These items are, well, used for nothing later actually. Some of the items that you pick up from the smaller foes are stronger than what the bosses give you.

This is where the whole game loses its sense. Well, with that said let’s move on to the only thing that is going to leave a mark in your mind. Darksiders II: Argul’s Tomb retains the original combat of the franchise in every way possible. The game will send you into a button smashing frenzy and an onslaught of chain moves. Hitting small things with huge things is like caffeine and cocoa to the brain. And Darksiders has tapped into this resource very well. The gunplay is absolutely similar to what it was

in the original versions.

The third person perspective in the shoot mode still exists but I did not find it satisfactory enough. Using long range artillery got really taxing by the end of the game. All this fiasco and low-grade development leads to an even lamer final boss fight. I’ll not disclose any information here about the final chapter. It is a surprise that should be preserved till the end. The boss has totally predictable patterns. They do change slightly throughout the game but soon become repetitive and you do not get the chills from its abuses either.

Overall, this $6. 99 is a shame to the popular THQ franchise. I wished I hadn’t played it and remembered Darksiders for what it was before. The publisher sure could have done better for itself. I mean just look at Saint’s Row. But still if you are faithful to the franchise and want some button-mashing action, then go for it. It won’t let you down in that sector.

Otherwise, it is a disappointment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 289101592710431/k2311a109/10.9.12