Forbidden Caverns, Sevierville, TN  » Travel  »
2.5
455 Blowing Cave Rd. Sevierville, TN 37876
  • When I first went to North Carolina, I visited my first cavern in the USA and it was a great experience
  • Forbidden Caverns was interesting with its rock formations jutting out of the rock with some only going a little ways up to the rock ceiling while others almost went from ceiling to floor or floor to ceiling
  • The clear stream of water was one of the best parts, thou
  • The tour guide, unfortunately, spoke in a very monotone voice

• by sarahdragon26

When I first went to North Carolina, I visited my first cavern in the USA and it was a great experience. I couldn’t wait to try different cavern systems around the country and even the world. Searching under the very surface itself held a great mystery and sense of discovery. I was looking forward to my visit to the Forbidden Caverns in Sevierville, TN. At first, I honestly thought it was a fake cavern attraction, like those haunted mansions that I would always see in Florida or New York. Something designed to be like the original objects, but not an original. Just everything about the flyer screamed of it being just an attraction and not a cavern system. It turns out that the Forbidden Caverns is a very real cavern.

The Cavern was about 30 to 35 minutes from Gatlinburg, where I was staying. I was glad I had waited to visit until the summer because the cavern is only open from April to November during a given year. I normally travel the Smokey Mountains National Park in March, right after spring starts, so I would not have able to see the caverns if I had gone during my normal time of the year. Finding the caverns was a little difficult.

I’m not familiar with Sevierville as I am with Galtinburg and Pigeon Forge. But thankfully, I have a GPS that did help me find the correct roads. Thankfully, I was able to take only a few main stretch roads to get there. I took US 441 to Veterans Blvd north. Then made a right onto Dolly Parton Parkway which turns into Newport Highway. I followed Newport until I reached Blowing Cave Road which I followed south until I reached the cavern parking lot. Which was very easy to see from the road.

I am saddened to say that it wasn’t as impressive as I would have liked or as impressive as other cavern systems have turned out to be. Ever since my first cavern journey a few years ago, I’ve been to about ten to fifteen caverns all over the USA, so I had a few different experiences and seen some amazingly impressive caverns like the Tuckaleechee Caverns in North Carolina, which continue to be one of my favorites. Forbidden Caverns was interesting with its rock formations jutting out of the rock with some only going a little ways up to the rock ceiling while others almost went from ceiling to floor or floor to ceiling. There were quite a few ...

• different formations to look at in awe at the sheer force of the nature behind them.

The clear stream of water was one of the best parts, thou. It was beautiful, clear, and cool to the touch. The tour guide was even allowed to take a drink of some of that water because it came from a natural spring under the rock. However, there were a few turn-offs to the tour and the atmosphere of the cavern. There was special lightning all around so the tour group could see everything, but it was the sound effects that happened in certain spots around the tour that exactly had me saying to myself, ‘Why?’ There wasn’t a need for special sound effects in this place. This wasn’t a Disneyland attraction. This is a real cavern made over millions of years and the special effect sounds just killed it. I go to cavern systems to hear the natural drips of water or the echo of footsteps. The whole point was to embrace the cavern as it was meant to be explored.

I was very thankful for the lightning in certain areas and handrails because a few of the walkways and steps were very wet and I would have broken my neck without the

handrails. The tour guide, unfortunately, spoke in a very monotone voice. He spoke as if he was a recording and had no emotions or feelings. He did provide some very useful and educational information about the history of the cavern and how old some of the formations might have been, but listening to him was like pulling out teeth. It was very hard on my ears.

And no attraction would be complete without a gift shop at the end. I did see some nice Geodes there, but I was not paying $50 dollars for a geode that I could get for 75 percent less online. But I am glad to say that it was only $13 dollars a person to get into the tour, so it wasn’t all too bad. I didn’t feel like it was a complete waste of time. I got to see a new part of Tennessee and explore a new cavern.

It was fun to experience a new cavern in the whole underground workings of the USA, but there is just so little that will bring me back to the Forbidden Caverns. I might try again in a few years, but unless they do away with the sound effects and monotone tour guides, I don’t see it getting any better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3819091591630630/k2311a0919/9.19.12