Canon Pixma MG5220 Printer
  • After a while, I decided I'd like to start printing my own images, hang them in my house, give them as gifts, and even eventually began selling them on arts and crafts sites, and to interior decorators
  • Though I was using external printing services at first, I decided this just wasn't giving my customers the best possible prices without sacrificing quality, so I wanted to invest in a great home printer for standard size prints
  • You are supposed to use Canon printer paper, or it's recommended at any rate, but I found that paper to be cheap and useless and ended up with a less expensive Staples brand of photo paper of a much higher quality, and the prints are crystal clear each time
  • This print has WiFi capabilities, which I love, so I never have to connect my laptop to it, and can print from any room in the house without hovering

• by Anasuya

So last year I got a great camera, some great lenses, and started to perfect my nature and still life photographic techniques. Some of my favorite things to photograph are macro nature shots, and water drop photography. After a while, I decided I’d like to start printing my own images, hang them in my house, give them as gifts, and even eventually began selling them on arts and crafts sites, and to interior decorators. Though I was using external printing services at first, I decided this just wasn’t giving my customers the best possible prices without sacrificing quality, so I wanted to invest in a great home printer for standard size prints. I researched and ended up with the Canon Pixma MG5220 printer, because the picture clarity was supposed to be outstanding. The staff at the store even let me print out sample shots using pictures I had on a SD card, and they were right… this was worth every penny.

Ironically enough, this is not even that expensive of a printer and there’s a reason for that. The price of the ink is

outrageously high. It’s an ink jet printer which requires separate cartridges for blue, yellow, red and two separate black cartridges. One of the blacks is for color combinations and one is for grey scale printing. The cartridges are $15 a piece, so you can expect to pay $70 for ink, assuming you run out of the ink at the same time. And you NEVER do. Ever. This can make it easy to replace ink as you need it, and at a more affordable $15 price tag, but this also means, if you print a lot, you are running to the store every month to get a different cartridge.

However, though the price of the ink is really quite high, I also have to say that the picture quality is worth it. You are supposed to use Canon printer paper, or it’s recommended at any rate, but I found that paper to be cheap and useless and ended up with a less expensive Staples brand of photo paper of a much higher quality, and the prints are crystal clear each time. I’ve asked customers at

shows to compare prints with that paper to prints of a name brand quality, both using the same printer, and everyone went for the Staples brand each time. Anyway, the quality of the print DOES depend on the quality of the paper, so keep that in mind. The investments will add up, but will be very much worth it in the end.

This print has WiFi capabilities, which I love, so I never have to connect my laptop to it, and can print from any room in the house without hovering. Although, the paper release tray is too short and doesn’t adequately hold sheets that have just been ejected from the printer. The print time is relatively slow, as well, especially for photos, so you can expect to print less than 2 pictures a minute. Not horrible, but not the best it can be either. Fair the price, I think, though.

There is also an SD card slot directly in the printer itself, so if you have edited copies of your photos already stored, you can easily insert the card and print directly from ...

• Canon Pixma MG5220 Printer
      that without ever having to access your printer. Nifty, right? It’s one of my favorite features of this printer.

The scanner is of a fair quality, though I honestly don’t know how to work it adequately, even after all these months with this printer. It takes some finesse to get a picture to scan without high levels of grain or static or, at the opposite end of that spectrum, without a loss of detail. It’s hard to find the even medium, but once you get your scan settings to that point, it’s priceless and a total gem.

It was easy to install and very easy to learn to use for the most part. It has an interactive LCD screen, which is small, and I actually prefer to use the software on the computer instead of the screen navigation, which always seems to confuse me a bit with the buttons. But this at least makes for use of the SD card to have a few more capabilities than just pressing a print button. There are a few functions here I had fun discovering, though I’ll

admit I don’t use them often and choose to make sure I have the image perfectly sized and cropped prior to accessing the printer functions.

Though expensive ink, and slow, I’m able to print about 50 full color photographs from a single $70 ink cartridge purchase, with black ink to spare. However, here’s the catch, you have to circumvent some safety features to use this printer if you have an empty cartridge. You HAVE to replace the cartridges as they run out, or the printer wont print. If you can get around this safety measure, and try to print black and white only (which I would think you should be able to do even while missing color cartridges), you risk damaging the printer head. I still do it, and have done it for a year now, and the printer still works fine, but keep that warning in mind. It’s a pain.

However, over all, this has been a great investment. Certainly worth the money. And though the cartridges are expensive, getting 50 high quality 8 x 10 inch prints out of it totally makes up for it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1618091591450530/k2311a0918/9.18.12