Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Camera Lens  » Cameras  »
  • But let me tell you what I learned while working it for the five months that I did
  • You definitely know you're holding a piece of quality camera equipment
  • The auto focus and manual focus work very well and very quickly, but I'm most impressed with the AF-S, which prevents blur from operator movement
  • My camera feels very heavy to me after a while, so movement comes with the job, so to speak, and this lens took care of that without a problem
  • What I really love about this lens, though, is that the colors are really very unique

• by Anasuya

After purchasing my Nikon D90 almost two years ago, my passion was portraiture and animal photography, and I ended up with this fascination with wedding photography, as I carried my camera with me absolutely everywhere and was able to get a few great shots at a friend’s wedding. I did some research on fantastic wedding photography lenses, and the Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S lens popped up as one of the most highly recommended. The price is not for the faint of heart… or faint of pocket book, and I saved for almost a year to get it, much to my husband’s dismay. Was it worth every penny? No. But that’s more to blame on my camera body than on the lens itself. This lens simply will not reach it’s full potential on a D90 body. You need a

full frame body to make the most of this lens. I’ve actually packed it away and saving it for my D90 upgrade to the D300 next year. But let me tell you what I learned while working it for the five months that I did.

The camera, like most Nikkor lenses, arrives carefully packaged with sufficient foam inserts, and a lens bag. The drawstring back, also like with most Nikkor lenses, is fairly useless. It’s thin. If you have a great camera bag, you’ll never use it. Comes in handy if you are packing an extra lens in a purse or small bag without separate padded compartments, but otherwise I never use mine. The lens cap never jiggles and secures well, but I was expecting as such, especially for the price. The lens is a good size and quite heavy. You definitely know you’re holding a piece of quality camera equipment. It feels more like metal than plastic, which adds to my sense of security when I’m working the camera. It attaches securely and locks into place well. The auto focus and manual focus work very well and very quickly, but I’m most impressed with the AF-S, which prevents blur from operator movement. Or compensates for it at the very least. My camera feels very heavy to me after a while, so movement comes with the job, so to speak, and this lens took care of that without a problem.

The lens shot well. The f/2.8 was expected, and provides great blur without super close proximity to the subject. It works well, I find, in very small spaces, like a small living room or drawing room,

• Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Camera Lens
      where you don’t have the option to step too far away from your subject. The zoom at 70mm shows a bit of blur around the edges, but that’s likely due more to the camera body that I’m using and less with the lens itself. I just can’t really open it up to its full potential on the current body that I have, so I always felt as though its use was a little underrated for me.

It takes beautiful portraits, but not great for low-light with my D90. It doesn’t compensate for lighting the way a f/1.4 would so noise still shows up just the same as it would with any other lens on a D90 body. It’s one of Nikon’s older lenses, though, so some leeway is expected, I think. It really saw it’s day mostly in

the early 90’s, so it’s been around for a while.

What I really love about this lens, though, is that the colors are really very unique. It brightens up everything and adds such a romantic tint to my images, for lack of better phrasing, with a nice creamy background. The lens is great for group shots, indoor, close-proximity shots, but I find my Nikkor 50mm still best for portraits. I also preferred something, at least for the price, that was a little wider, so ended up replacing this lens with a 24-70mm, which gave me just the added oomph I really needed.

Overall, it’s compatible with the D90, fast focus, super sharp images, except at it’s max zoom, and gave really unique color. If you can find it used, it’s well worth the price, even on the less expensive bodies.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4318091591440530/k2311a0918/9.18.12