SmartStyle in Wal-mart, Martinsburg, WV  » Business  »
800 Foxcroft Avenue, Martinsburg, WV 25401
  • I hate getting my hair cut, not because I love my hair or am scared, it's just something that's not very important to me
  • I decided with hesitation to try Walmart's SmartStyle
  • I was very descriptive with my request because I know either bringing in photos of the style one wants or being as descriptive as possible is certainly helpful
  • I like the fact that this salon is open seven days a week with convenient hours and also a convenient location
  • Other reviews I found online vary from loving the place to hating it and saying it was dirty and the stylists were rude

• by Bethany1202

I hate getting my hair cut, not because I love my hair or am scared, it’s just something that’s not very important to me; it’s more of a nuisance to me than anything and I hate spending money on getting hair cut off. That being said, I was in desperate need to get a trim. I decided with hesitation to try Walmart’s SmartStyle. I saw an offer for a $7.99 hair cut, so I decided that even if I was not quite happy with the cut, that price was unbeatable.

I called Sunday to see if they had that $7.99 offer available. The employee who answered was very kind and helpful. They did have the offer. I also asked what their Sunday hours were (they were open until 6pm) and if I needed and appointment. I was told no appointment was necessary.

The location I visited was the SmartStyle located inside Wal-mart #1703, 800 Foxcroft Avenue, Martinsburg, West Virginia 25401. This is conveniently located directly beside the Martinsburg Mall. The phone number for this location is 304-262-1919.

I arrived around 2 in the afternoon.

There was one person ahead of me, so it wasn’t a terribly long wait for me. I came in at the right time, but there were a few people who arrived after I did that had to wait considerably longer since there were only two employees working.

The stylist introduced herself as Julie, the manager, and asked what I wanted done to my hair. I told her I wanted to get my hair trimmed to about an inch below my shoulders with a long layer and long bangs. I was very descriptive with my request because I know either bringing in photos of the style one wants or being as descriptive as possible is certainly helpful.

She asked me if I wanted a wash and blow dry or straightening of my hair or anything and I informed her that I just wanted a trim. After I told her that she said the other services would be extra, anyway. She draped me and began brushing my hair with a comb. She was a bit rough and pulled my hair on a number of occasions.

• I normally do not mind but she was a bit more rough than most other places I have ever visited, so this was noteworthy to me.

She began trimming my hair and got my bangs perfectly the way I wanted. She began trimming my hair at the bottom and asked several times if it was short enough. After telling her a few times that it was still a bit longer than I wanted I just figured it was fine and settled with that length. When it came time to cut the back of my hair she asked me to stand up so she could trim it. I have never been asked to stand out of my seat while a stylist cut my hair, but I politely obliged, holding my purse in my hands and standing there awkwardly.

She asked me to check the length of my hair and I said it was fine and then she removed the drape from me. I was about to ask about the layer but figured it would be too much aggravation. Even though I wanted to get what

I asked for, for $7.99 I did settle on not-quite what I wanted. The price was a great bargain, but I guess you get what you pay for.

I like the fact that this salon is open seven days a week with convenient hours and also a convenient location. It sells name brand salon products just like any other salon, so this is another plus for most people, although I personally don’t tend to purchase salon brands. The prices were fair, which is a big plus for me, but the quality was mediocre and certainly nothing to brag about. The stylists were polite.

Other reviews I found online vary from loving the place to hating it and saying it was dirty and the stylists were rude. The stylists who were working that day were both incredibly nice and the salon was not dirty on the day I visited.

Would I go back to SmartStyle again? I might go there again if they have another great offer below $10 for a hair cut, but for full price I doubt I would visit this particular salon again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4113091591020630/k2311a0913/9.13.12