The Ultimate Cat Treats Cookbook Book  » Books  »
  • When my husband went to buy it, I thought he was nuts
  • I found it funny because when we have pasta, my cats would beg my son for his pasta and they would eat it
  • It’s a cute book with some interesting ideas, but not for us

• by sarahdragon26

While shopping at Barnes and Noble, my husband handed me a book that just made me laugh. The title alone was enough to give me the giggles. The Ultimate Cat Treats Cookbook. Homemade Goodies for Finicky Felines. It was written by Liza Palika and published by Howell Book Houser in 2006. When my husband went to buy it, I thought he was nuts. While the thought of giving my cats treats isn’t out of this world, because they get store-purchased treats all the time, the thought of me or my husband cooking a treat for my cats was too much. I read the book and all it did was give me a good laugh. Not make me what to start cooking.

There are lists of treats and how to cook them from tuna dishes

to certain rice dishes. I found it funny because when we have pasta, my cats would beg my son for his pasta and they would eat it. Cooked or raw. I always thought that was strange. I’ve never seen a cat do that. Dogs will eat anything, but not cats. Yet, in this book, I was finding more and more dishes to be prepared for cats that had pasta or noodles in them. While some of the recipes were simple to put together, like pasta with tuna fish, it did make sense when I thought about it. Mostly the recipes with fish, chicken, or beef. Because every time we make those three meats in my house, my cats are always rubbing my legs to get some.

There was a section about a treat called ...

• Cat Grass. I didn’t believe it, but after seeing it at Petsmart, I got it and left it out for my cats. I was not surprised to see my cats take a wide berth of the grass. They had no interest in it at all and the grass was supposed to be for them to crew on. And good for the teeth, but my cats wanted nothing to do with it. I gave it to my sister in law, whose cat loved the grass. Each cat is different, but it seems that certain cats do like Cat Grass.

I never had any intention of actually cooking any of these dishes, so when I came home to find my whole house smelling like cat food, I almost killed my husband. He had cooked one of

the dishes that used cat food and noodles. I couldn’t even step into my kitchen because the smell was so strong. And he burnt it, but my cats ate the meal anyway. While the book has instructions about how much of an ingredient to use and step by step details, I never thought that following those instructions would make my kitchen smell so bad.

It’s a cute book with some interesting ideas, but not for us. I read it every now and then for a chuckle or a laugh, but I just give my cats the normal treats from the store or the piece of cooked chicken or beef from dinner. If you like the idea of cooking for your cat, this book is just for you. Just make sure you can handle the smell afterwards.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 176091590640730/k2311a096/9.6.12