iPod dock and a speaker system, Beats Beatbox Portable by Dr Dre
  • I'm not really a Beats fan, but recently after trying out the Beats Headset, I noticed that the quality was definitely there and it wouldn't hurt to get the Beatbox portable
  • Putting headphones on my ears for a long time can be an uncomfortable experience for me so I definitely want a speaker system
  • One thing I don't like is the position of the handles
  • I decided to try Bluetooth first because it didn't require any wires
  • I don't think it would work so well for a party unless the speaker system is angled and positioned perfectly

• by MisterTickle

I’m not really a Beats fan, but recently after trying out the Beats Headset, I noticed that the quality was definitely there and it wouldn’t hurt to get the Beatbox portable. Putting headphones on my ears for a long time can be an uncomfortable experience for me so I definitely want a speaker system. I chose the Beats Beatbox Portable because it offers a good and loud sound, and yet it is portable.

To start off with, it’s a very simple, but very nice design. There are two handles at the side and the body is a mixture of an iPod dock and a speaker system. I find this very efficient because everything is all integrated together. One thing I don’t like is the position of the handles. This is actually a very poor design, while everything else is good. At first, I didn’t pay too much attention on this until afterwards when I tried to pick it up and move it. The way the handle is designed is that I must pick up and carry this speaker system with both hands. If I want to hold it

with just one hand, then the speaker system or Beatbox in this case will be dangling vertically. When I carry it with just one hand, it is very hard for me to set it down on a tablet or some other surface. Very hard to explain this, but you will see what I mean once you try to carry the Beatbox with just one hand. I usually have something in my other hand, which is my iPod for the dock use. This is a major inconvenience and I would say that it isn’t as portable as it seems.

Next, there are three ways to connect a device to this speaker system. The first way is the iPod dock, which I am currently using. The next way is the auxiliary input, which is using a 3.5mm headphone jack. The third way is by Bluetooth. I decided to try Bluetooth first because it didn’t require any wires. I find that the Bluetooth connection is only good if you are using a device like a phone where you want to keep it on you while streaming music. For me, I got a

Bluetooth range of about ten feet before I started to notice a connection issue with the connection between the phone and the speaker system. Bluetooth range isn’t very long so don’t think that you can navigate the music from different rooms in your house or different floors or anything like that. It would not work. Unfortunately, I still have to be in the same room. The next connection option is a very sly one. What I mean by this is that the auxiliary input requires another attachment before it can be used. In needs an input output jack or basically two 3.5mm jacks at either end. The Beatbox does not include it so it must be separately purchased. Luckily for me I already have one. I purchased mine a while back on Amazon for six dollars, and this is including shipping so this is quite a deal. However, I’m pretty sure you can find it in any dollar store or hardware store. Not sure if it is going to be cheaper or more expensive online, but it is always worth a shot. For the input jack, I don’t ...

• iPod dock and a speaker system, Beats Beatbox Portable by Dr Dre
      really like it because it is wired. However, the input jack is for devices that cannot be used with the iPod dock nor the Bluetooth connection. Since I don’t have any devices like that, I decided not to use the auxiliary input and output. Finally, I used the iPod dock. I prefer the iPod dock because I can listen to music, but charge the device at the same time.

Finally, let’s talk a bit about the sound quality. In terms of volume, I think this speaker system has a built in amplifier. The maximum volume is really loud. For a day by day usage, I never really found the need to turn the volume all the way up. When turning the volume up high, it is quite a fast drain on the battery. As for running on the power supply, it doesn’t concern me as there’s nothing I have to worry about there. It claims to have a “powerful DSP design for maximum output and minimum distortion”. The way I see it, sound quality is good in the sense that I can hear everything clearly. For music, there

tends to be the occasional static noise. Basically when there’s a foreground noise and a background noise, and then spoken words, the speaker has trouble keeping a clear sound. This isn’t so much for spoken words. When I am listening to audio books, it works a lot better. Even when I turn the volume slightly higher it is alright because the speakers can handle them. I usually find for some speaker systems to produce a slightly decreased sound quality when the volume is turned up. Not sure why that is the case, but I didn’t experience it on this one. The speakers are a bit small so the direction of the sound is a bit too focused. It doesn’t really work well as to broadcast something to the entire room. I don’t think it would work so well for a party unless the speaker system is angled and positioned perfectly. It delivers sound in one direction and doesn’t really allow the sound to spread. Compared to a Bose system, this Beatbox doesn’t really deliver that surround sound experience. It is more or less just a basic music player.

Morgan says :

Very good review, i agree with you. The beatbox has brilliant sound quality. i highly recommend this product for everyone who wants good sound for daily use.

Julius Frimpong says :

the product is well made product with clear sound system and good connectinon without breakages

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 163091590180730/k2311a093/9.3.12