PetSafe Yard and Park Remote Trainer
  • Finally, I decided to give electronic collars a try
  • The collar and remote has lasted two years now with no problem

• by ScienceCat

I have a very athletic Akita/Boxer mix that was pretty wild as a puppy. Yoshi would dart around the horse’s legs while I was riding, would bolt out into the fields out of earshot of my “Come” command, and was very interested in squirrels on the other side of my unfenced yard.

Before I had this dog, I never thought I would use an electronic remote collar. I thought it inhumane. However, I couldn’t just tie up the puppy while riding; he would bark and struggle against the restraint, which made me worry that he would injure himself. I also couldn’t have him run around loose in the arena and run towards the horses, which would likely scare him and also potentially injure either animal. I had taken the dog through obedience school, but he was very easily distracted, and even

more easily distracted when given wide open spaces to run about. I had trained him to ‘come’ and ’stay’, but as a growing adolescent puppy, he was selective in what he chose to obey, particularly if he was out of reach.

Finally, I decided to give electronic collars a try. I looked at several electronic collars available online and in large stores such as Petsmart and Petco. I finally chose the Petsafe Yard and Park Remote Trainer for its range and what seemed like a fairly well made product.

The collar portion is made of plastic and the package says that it will fit 8 pounds and up. Yoshi has grown to 70 pounds of leggy lean dog, and the collar adjusts very well to his neck. The box that delivers the electric buzz is surprisingly small. There are 8 levels of “correction”, but Yoshi responds just fine with the setting set on “2″. I’ve tested this on my hand, and it’s an unpleasant buzz, but quickly stops when the stimulus has stopped. You can also use the tone as a positive stimulus to let your dog know when he’s doing something right. The collar is relatively lightweight and will be just fine on a medium to large dog.

The remote control comes with a comfortable lanyard, is small and easy to hold, has a button on the side for the positive tone, two buttons to use for the electric stimulus, and a dial to set the intensity of the electric signal. The instructions were easy to follow, and the system is set up to allow multiple collars to be controlled with one remote if you happen to have multiple dogs.

Used judiciously, this collar has made ...

• PetSafe Yard and Park Remote Trainer
      a huge difference in Yoshi’s training. I used the it only to reinforce things that I had already taught, such as “come”, “leave it”, as well as teaching him that he has to stay away from the horse’s legs. I have used it to teach him to stay away from the road.

Yoshi has plowed through soggy fields and dumped himself into puddles, and the collar still continues to work just fine. We’ve used it in the winter as well as the summer. The collar and remote has lasted two years now with no problem.

The rechargeable batteries seem slow to recharge, which can be a minor inconvenience. If the batteries are drained, it will take a full 24 hours to get it full again, so you need to plug the collar in the day before you really need to use it.

Also,

in the wrong hands, this tool can cause a lot of damage if you use the electric shock without knowing how to train your dog and knowing when your dog needs reinforcement versus encouragement or when he plain doesn’t understand what you want. If your dog doesn’t obey your commands when he’s right in front of you during basic training, he won’t obey it with the collar when he’s far away, and using this collar inappropriately can cause a lot of confusion and fear.

However, if you lay the groundwork for your dog, this tool is indispensable for training long range and reinforcing commands. Better to cause momentary discomfort to train for basic safety than have an injured dog.

$149 is a pretty hefty price tag, but this product is ruggedly made, lasted me two years so far, and has worked in all sorts of weather and conditions.

Jill says :

re : Finally, I decided to give electronic collars a try
I have used several different electronic collars for my dogs, I love them because I’m not the bad guy. It gets my pets attention without the stress of disciplinary actions from you. Not to mention they don’t have to be used all the time when used properly. Big fan

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2930081590100531/k2311a0830/8.30.12