Amboseli National Park, Kenya  » Travel  »
  • I noticed that it was a bit of a drive from Nairobi to the park
  • I also liked the aspect that there is also a quaint town nearby that is worth a visit for those wanting to experience more traditional Kenyan culture, this is the land of the masai people
  • I should mention that there is no real address to be found for the park itself, but the many signs will make it no problem to find
  • I found these rules very important and it showed that the parks management cares for the life of its visitors
  • I would recommend a visit to absolutely anyone visiting Kenya because it’s quite a sure-thing when it comes to elephant sightings

• by wmunilu

This was my first visit to any sort of park in Kenya. I went on several safaris while visiting Kenya, but Amboseli stands out thanks to its focus on the parks beautiful wildlife scenery.

I noticed that it was a bit of a drive from Nairobi to the park. The distance was about 257 km/160 miles and it took me around 5 hours to drive to the park. The road leading to the park entrance points from Namanya is not that good. The road from Namanya to the park entrance is rough with many potholes. I noticed that there were many signs along the road which made it difficult to get lost. I also liked the aspect that there is also a quaint town nearby that is worth a visit for those wanting to experience more traditional Kenyan culture, this is the land of the masai people. It’s very exciting visiting these masai people.

The entrance fee into Amboseli national park that I was charged was about 80 US dollars, this comes to about 7,000(seven thousand) Kenyan shillings. This was the set fee for non Kenyans

and the children were charged 40 US dollars which comes to around 3,500 Kenyan shillings. If visitors want a tour guide, an additional fee will be charged. I personally found that a self-drive was a lot of fun because it gave me the opportunity to take lots of pictures and stop for as long as I wanted. I wouldn’t have been able to do that on a tour group.

I should mention that there is no real address to be found for the park itself, but the many signs will make it no problem to find. Once you get close (at least within 25 km,) you will begin to see signs for the national Park.

I also noticed that Amboseli National Park has many entrance gates and when you arrive at the pack, the warden gives you common sense rules: do not get out of your car, except at designated spots; do not harass the animals in any way; no off-road driving. I found these rules very important and it showed that the parks management cares for the life of its visitors.

Amoboseli National Park is a ...

• relatively small park when compared to Tsavo so you have a very good chance of seeing a lot of wildlife. It’s also one of the best opportunities to see an elephant up close and personal. I drove very slowly, and within about fifteen minutes, I saw an elephant off the side of the road. You will have to keep a close eye as many animals hide out in the bush and camouflage. The park has a moderate lion population and quite some moderate number of cheetahs and baboons, but you will have to be very patient to see these animals.

In addition to the aforementioned animals, Amboseli National Park is a great opportunity to see a lot of other African species. I saw monkeys everywhere! There was also no shortage on antelopes. As I mentioned, the size of the park really helps encourage encounters like this.

Other than the wonderful wildlife, the park itself is quite accommodating. They have accommodation options within the park, and although it’s a bit more expensive than the surrounding areas, it is a fantastic opportunity to see animals. The facilities included

hotels, restaurants, and safari lodges. I noticed that these facilities are not quite extremely well maintained. I can say that the quality of the food within the restaurant was not bad and it was quite a lovely place.

The only oddity I feel I need to mention is that you should be prepared to have your car searched on the way out. I guess they are worried about poaching and people taking “souvenirs” from the park (like rocks, plants, feathers, etc) which is strictly forbidden.

Overall, I can say that Amboseli National Park is a nice place to visit and its well known for its herd of over 900 free-ranging elephants. Also I think you should not forget to move with your camera, binoculars, sunglasses, and water to drink because it’s really hot in the dry seasons.

Amboselei National park is a lovely park with many opportunities for getting quite close to animals. I would recommend a visit to absolutely anyone visiting Kenya because it’s quite a sure-thing when it comes to elephant sightings. Make sure you make enough time for this wonderful park on your visit!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3821081589090631/k2311a0821/8.21.12