Queens of the Stone Age - I Was A Teenage Hand Model (song)  » Music  »
  • I mean, it's interesting to hear that it's a topic of a song because it is no way a glorified thing to be singing about, and yet it is so relateable that you have to give them props for that
  • I Was a Teenage Hand Model definitely differentiates, not only from Kyuss but with modern music at the time it was released in 1998

• by BodgieCrunch

The obscure titled “I Was A Teenage Hand Model” closes out Queens of the Stone Age’s debut self titled album at track 11. What makes this album so weird is that it was released on Roadrunner records which I am most familiar with them releasing Soulfly albums, which are for the most part vastly different.

This song in general is 80% super mellow and awesome, and 20% horrible horrible nightmare of annoyance. The song starts out with the steady shake of a maraca, while some background noise is playing. Most notably it sounds like someone taking a leak in the toilet and almost vomiting. Which would make sense because it goes along with the lyrics. The overall pace of the song is moderately slow, with a keyboard looping the same piece while the maraca plays. There is some use of instruments that pop up here and there but for the most part keeps the same beat. Josh Homme’s vocals are rather quiet, to the extent

of a whisper, and are rather soothing. The most notable part of the song (besides the outro) is the chorus, where the keyboards harmonize with Homme’s vocals. It’s rather quite beautiful honestly, which makes me hate this song! Not because it’s so relaxing, and awesomely mellow! But the last minute and 20 seconds or so is a mess of annoyance and robot noises while an answering machine is going off. I wouldn’t have minded it so much, but it is incredibly loud and high pitched, that it actually kind of hurts to listen to. It’s like the exact opposite of the song that just played before it. I’m all up for dissonance when it’s done right, but this is a disaster and makes me hit the “next song” button whenever it reaches that focal point.

The first bit of the song where it sounds like someone going to the bathroom and holding down some puke in his throat, that part makes sense when you hear the ...

• first verse of the song.

“Cozied up to the toilet, face stuck to the floor. I met expectations, that I was trying to ignore.”

That verse alone makes me think that whomever is singing the song partook in a little bit more partying than anticipated. I really like this verse of the song because it is so relateable. Who hasn’t spent a night praying to the porcelain god? I mean, it’s interesting to hear that it’s a topic of a song because it is no way a glorified thing to be singing about, and yet it is so relateable that you have to give them props for that.

The rest of the song doesn’t seem as relating as the first verse. The second verse seems to be about the same person is relating himself to the billions of other people out in the world, while the third verse states that he is somewhat dissatisfied with the world around him, and he’s just letting it pass on by

him. The last verse of the song is probably the most perplexing and honestly don’t know if it has any real meaning to it. One cool thing to note is that the chorus doesn’t even have and words, it’s just Homme humming along and yet it is unbelievably catchy.

Well that’s my 2 cents on this song. It is indeed very early Queens of the Stone Age material, this song doesn’t bare like any similarities to Kyuss whatsoever, which makes me think that Homme made it a specific goal to differentiate himself with his former group. “I Was a Teenage Hand Model” definitely differentiates, not only from Kyuss but with modern music at the time it was released in 1998. I couldn’t imagine listening to this back then, then again at that time I was listening to Korn and Limp Bizkit. Don’t judge, you were too. Check this song out, just warning you, be mindful to the end of the song, it is ANNOYINGLY LOUD and ANNOYING.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1415081588670631/k2311a0815/8.15.12