Short Circuit 1986 Movie  » Movies  »
  • One of the many goofs that I noticed in Short Circuit was one that I can not believe that I missed over the years and hundreds of viewing, but I noticed that the Number 5 label on Johnny 5’s head disappeared after he left Nova
  • It’s amazing to watch my son experience everything that happens in the movie and to watch his expression like he’s really living it

• by sarahdragon26

For the longest time, I had completely forgotten about this movie. It used to be one of my favorite films of all time as a child, than I rediscovered it again as an adult for one reason. The Pixar movie, Wall-E. Wall-E really reminded me of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit and that’s when I started to watch the movie again.

I love Johnny 5. He has this innocence about him that most humans seem to lack in basic respects. That he finds such pleasure and wonder in such a simple thing like the sun or such depression or anxiety at the thought of anyone taking him apart. That is the sign of something that is alive. Yet,

my husband would argue that Johnny 5 is a robot and has the ability to assimilate information that could make him think he’s alive. Like the information that he read from Stephanie’s, the female lead of the movie, books. Yet, I could argue that we, as humans, are programmed as well to know the differences between right and wrong through the teachings of our elders. That’s not much different then programming a robot to learn and know those things. We are programmed to learn, to read, to write, and to speak. Whose to argue that a robot that does the same exact things might not be alive.

One of the many goofs that I noticed in Short Circuit was one that I can not believe that I missed over the years and hundreds of viewing, but I noticed that the Number 5 label on Johnny 5’s head disappeared after he left Nova. After he started to look different then his Number brothers. With his eye lids open wide and such. I don’t think the Number 5 reappeared on his head at all during the rest of the film. I was just curious how it got knocked off in the first place, if it was stamped on his head. Was this done to give him a more personal look then his Number brothers or was it just a mistake that the filmmakers didn’t see.

My son is ...

• Short Circuit 1986 Movie
      at that age when every curse word he hears, he has to tell me about it without saying the word itself. He just comes running up to me and says that someone said a bad word. This is a great movie that my son loves so much. He wants to watch it everyday. I’m just glad that he doesn’t repeat the curse words he hears during the movie, like the s-word and the a-word. They’re not said often, but my son being a child, always picks up on the bad words.

My son has even called Jonny 5 Wall-E until he really paid enough attention to hear him being called Johnny or Number 5. That’s when he started

to separate the two characters. It’s amazing to watch my son experience everything that happens in the movie and to watch his expression like he’s really living it. He laughed when Johnny 5 laughed and he cried when everyone thought that Johnny 5 had been destroyed. I even cried when I was a child when I first saw that part.

This is a great movie that not only teaches about friendship, but about the fact that not everything is the way we want to think it is. That strange things happen and sometimes, that is just a miracle. It’s a great children’s movie from my childhood and I’m glad that I was able to share it with my son now.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1114081588570631/k2311a0814/8.14.12