Purina One Smartblend Healthy Weight Reduced Fat Dog Food  » Pets  »
  • After buying Beneful dog foods for quite some time, I decided to give something new a try, particularly something that promised to have more natural ingredients in it
  • Unfortunately, I cannot afford the ridiculous prices charged by these dog food brands
  • However, Purina One Beyond definitely seems to be a step up in terms of quality
  • I was really impressed with the price, which is what really made me choose this product over any other products
  • It's not the best, most natural product out there, but it's a good, affordable option good for maintaining weight and digestive issues

• by Melanie Noell

After buying Beneful dog foods for quite some time, I decided to give something new a try, particularly something that promised to have more natural ingredients in it. I switched my dogs to this food, and it’s the first time they both actually finish their entire bowl as soon as I put their food down!

Purina One Smartblend is supposed to a sort of step up in terms of quality ingredients in dog food. It’s by no means like Blue Buffalo or Evo, the very expensive dog foods that use only natural ingredients. Unfortunately, I cannot afford the ridiculous prices charged by these dog food brands. However, Purina One Beyond definitely seems to be a step up in terms of quality. Apparently, it is also a big improvement in terms of taste since my dogs gobble it up so quickly!

I was really impressed with the price, which is what really

made me choose this product over any other products. I almost went back to purchasing my old Beneful dog food, but I noticed a bag of this close by. It was only a few dollars more than the same size bag of Beneful, and it advertised lots of natural ingredients. I believe I paid about $32 for a 31lb bag, which lasts my two small to medium sized dogs for quite some time. Like I said, it’s not much more than the Beneful Healthy Weight formula (which is usually about $28,) and my dogs like it a lot more.

When I first opened the bag of food, I was immediately impressed with the difference in quality of kibble compared to Beneful. The kibble is softer, but not so soft that I’m worried that it will affect their dental health. It’s still got some hard bits to keep their teeth healthy!

• And there are dried chunks of meat in the dog food, which is the first thing my dogs typically go for. They’re actually rather large chunks which surprised me - in a good way. I think the actual meat product is what makes my dogs so excited about eating this food. I believe the Healthy Weight version has turkey bits and turkey flavoring, which they seem to like just fine. I’m sure they’d appreciate the other flavors, but my one always gets fat when I feed him regular food, no matter how much exercise - I sometimes think he’s stealing the smaller dog’s food. Anyway, Purina One’s Smartblend Healthy Weight Formula has 25% less calories, which is great for my bigger dog.

I like the product most because my dogs love it and it has more visible “meat” in it for them. However, it does seem to do other

good stuff. Whenever my dogs stay with my dad, he feeds them scraps and their digestive system gets way out of whack. It used to take a long time for them to get back to normal with Beneful, but they seem to get back to being regular in only a few days with this dog food. They have firm droppings, which is great because my little one is prone to diarrhea. I don’t really see a difference in their coats, but I don’t see anything bad happening to their fur, either, so I’m happy.

Overall, I like this dog food, and so do my pets. I’m happy that they’re happy, and I like that it has more meat and natural ingredients than what I used to feed them. It’s not the best, most natural product out there, but it’s a good, affordable option good for maintaining weight and digestive issues.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2910081588420831/k2311a0810/8.10.12