Zodiac Conditioning Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs (for Flea Control)  » Pets  »
  • Although I don't think you can abandon other flea and tick preventatives, this product is a nice shampoo to get rid of fleas before applying any topical flea treatments, and it's sensitive on the dog's skin
  • The first thing I noticed about this shampoo was that it had a nice smell
  • It's just a soft cover for any chemicals hiding within, and you can definitely pick up on the oatmeal scent, although it's definitely not an overpowering smell either
  • I think the lack of powerful fragrance is intended to not interfere with skin issues dogs might have since it is a good choice for sensitive skin
  • I really like this product, and I'd recommend it as something to keep around if you live somewhere with a lot of fleas

• by Melanie Noell

I’ve been using this product for years because my smallest dog had a flea allergy and sensitive skin. Although I don’t think you can abandon other flea and tick preventatives, this product is a nice shampoo to get rid of fleas before applying any topical flea treatments, and it’s sensitive on the dog’s skin.

I first got this shampoo when the vet recommended it to bathe my little jack russell who had terribly sensitive skin. She was very allergic to fleas and would break out whenever they bit her in addition to having sensitive skin that would sometimes get itchy and red from regular shampoos. Since we had her on flea preventative, my vet just suggested that this was a good shampoo to use if the preventative was running out, her skin was drying out, or to get fleas off of her before applying topical treatment.

The first thing I noticed about this shampoo

was that it had a nice smell. I wasn’t overpowered with the usual chemical smell of flea treatment shampoos upon opening the bottle. The subtle scent is a bit difficult to describe - it’s not floral or fruity or overpowering. It’s just a soft cover for any chemicals hiding within, and you can definitely pick up on the oatmeal scent, although it’s definitely not an overpowering smell either! I think the lack of powerful fragrance is intended to not interfere with skin issues dogs might have since it is a good choice for sensitive skin. When I first put in on my jack russell, it lathered up pretty quickly, though I think you do have to use an ample amount of shampoo. Whenever my dogs have picked up fleas and I use the shampoo, I immediately begin to see fleas crawling out of the water and suds and they slow down as they go. You have to leave the shampoo on for about five minutes to make sure that all the fleas are killed, which is pretty typical of any flea shampoo. It can be difficult to get antsy dogs to stand still during this time, but it is worth the wait. I have always picked off more fleas than I thought had got on my dogs in between their topical treatments. Rinse your dog off to make sure there’s no more fleas, and you should be good to go!

One minor problem with this product, and any flea shampoo, is that you can’t get it too close to their eyes because it has chemicals in it to kill the fleas. It bugs me because sometimes the fleas will crawl up to my dogs’ faces, knowing that it’s dry there, but at least I can pick them off and throw them in the water ...

• Zodiac Conditioning Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs (for Flea Control)
      from there. The easiest thing to do is hold your hands around the head area to try and fend off fleas trying to escape to higher ground.

As far as the oatmeal goes, my jack russell was the only one who really NEEDED a shampoo for sensitive skin, and we often used this shampoo once a week to soothe her skin. It’s a great option for dogs who are super sensitive and are having flea problems. It would often make her skin smoother and her bumps and redness would clear up quickly. It works fine on my other dogs, too, though they don’t necessarily need the added benefit of oatmeal. Their coats are left fairly shiny and healthy afterwards - I have definitely used better conditioning shampoos that leave them shinier, but considering how well it works for fleas and sensitive skin, I don’t mind them being a little less shiny!

The one thing

I did get confused with when I first bought it was that the bottle promises 28 days of protection. The thing is, if you read it more closely, the 28 days protection is for larval stage fleas and ticks that have not yet reached adulthood. The shampoo kills the adults already there and then leaves a chemical that disrupts larvae from being able to grow. Your dog is still able to pick up new fleas outside that won’t be affected by the chemicals which is why it’s a good idea to use topical preventatives, too.

I really like this product, and I’d recommend it as something to keep around if you live somewhere with a lot of fleas. Even if your dog doesn’t have sensitive skin, it can be useful if they react negatively to the flea bites. It smells good and it works, and I typically have at least one bottle around during the summer months.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 299081588330731/k2311a089/8.9.12