Nature’s Variety Grain Free Instinct Raw Chicken Medallions Cat Food  » Pets  »
0.5
  • After doing some research on raw food, I decided to try a brand called Nature’s Variety Instinct frozen raw diets
  • I could not find any success with trying the frozen medallions, and so I would recommend if you really want to try this product to either buy the sample size at first or weaning your pet onto this food gradually, especially if they are older and have been on an entirely different kind of processed food their entire lives

• by cmurray081981

My cat needed to be placed on a special diet after being diagnosed with diabetes several years ago. The vet suggested I purchase expensive prescription food that would only be supplied by him, and since I didn’t like him and wanted to switch to another vet, I certainly did not want to have to continue to make regular trips to pick up food there. After doing some research on raw food, I decided to try a brand called Nature’s Variety Instinct frozen raw diets.

I made sure to purchase a trial size of this food and I’m very glad I did. The sample size had about 12 medallions of food. Each medallion looks like a small slider burger without the bun. I chose to purchase the chicken flavor since I knew my cat had willingly eaten chicken treats in the

past. I decided to try and put her on a raw diet since I’d done some research on cats and how they are supposed to eat. Before they were domesticated, cats would simply catch and eat rodents and small animals whole. Simulating the feral diet, a raw meat diet is simply ground meat and bone in a frozen raw format and looks like raw ground meat. This was ideal for a diabetic, as carbohydrates and sugar from grains are no longer a factor. In fact, the entire Nature’s Variety line of food is meant to be grain free and is perfectly ideal for a diabetic pet.

I purchased the trial size because my cat has been picky and finicky throughout the entire diet transition. She notoriously will gobble down a certain kind of food for a few days then suddenly turn her nose up at it. Since she absolutely must eat before having insulin administrated, it became a one on one fight to make her eat something. Up until this point I continued to struggle with finding a food she would consistently eat and trying this new food was just another step in the uphill battle. The food is a bit difficult to administer. It must be kept frozen, since it consists only of raw meat, but of course must be thawed before serving to your pet. The directions state to defrost the medallions in the fridge 8-10 hours before serving. It also states that a stainless steel dish should be used to inhibit the growth of bacteria, so I had to purchase that separately as well. However, like a lot of meat that defrosts, the medallions leaked juice and ...

• Nature's Variety Grain Free Instinct Raw Chicken Medallions Cat Food
      made a huge disgusting mess. I didn’t want to deal with sticky raw meat juices dribbling all over the floor! Most importantly, neither cat would touch the food. Not even a nibble. In retrospect I might have had luck with transitioning them over to the raw food in combination with some dry or wet food they both liked. At that time I was too impatient to continue to mess around with something that didn’t appear to work in hopes that it eventually would. I wanted, and needed, results as quickly as possible.

I now see they have a new freeze dried version of the food that doesn’t require freezing and eliminates the unsanitary juices coming from defrosted raw meat. I may give this a try, but this food is not very economical. The food ranges in price from $17 for 3

lbs of food to $35 for 6 lbs and I could only find this food at one natural specialty pet store in the area, not even at a chain pet store, or online which is an expensive hassle when the product must be kept frozen throughout the entire shipment process. I could not find any success with trying the frozen medallions, and so I would recommend if you really want to try this product to either buy the sample size at first or weaning your pet onto this food gradually, especially if they are older and have been on an entirely different kind of processed food their entire lives. It will be a slow and expensive process but if your pet is experiencing problematic health issues caused by processed food, you may find it worth your while to give this food a try.

Alix de Belleville says :

The instinct raw food is a great food that is high in real meat protein and low in carbohydrate which is perfect for our little carnivore friends. My cats fur have incredibly improve since they are on this food as well as their litter box. No more poop or pee smells and they have tiny poops, which results to the litter lasting me longer. They are now a whole lot more active and a lot less stressed on their everyday life. I usually put it in the fridge about 10-12 hours before serving it. You might end up spending more money on their diet, but healthwise and vetwise it will be worth it Also did you knew that feeding your pet raw usually adds a few years to their life

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 299081588250731/k2311a089/8.9.12