Chernobyl Diaries 2012 Movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • I also greatly enjoyed the acting and there was only one charcater I didn't like who unfortunately was the main focus of much of the movie
  • Another high point is the ending, somehting that many others seem to disagree with
  • I, however, found the ending scary and interesting
  • Besides that, though, what may be the movie's biggest issue is that it assumes people are going to like it, leaving way too many unanswered questions because they probably assumed it would be succesful enough for a sequel
  • All in all, yes it is scary, but at the same time it kind of had some huge glaring flaws that ruined the experience

• by nicktkh

I honestly expected more from the creator of Parnormal Activity Oren Peli. Many people seem to have mistaken this for a found-footage flick possibly due to Peli’s first series Paranormal Activity being found-footage or the fact that even though it’s NOT a found-footage movie they still wave the camera around unprofessionally. But before we get into what this movie did so horribly, horribly wrong, let’s highlight the positive things.

First of all, it’s a horror movie and even though it’s an overall bad movie, it IS scary. There are many effective jump

scares throughout the entire movie and one or two scenes full of heart-pounding suspense.

Believe me when I tell you that the first jump scare will make you jump in your seat and that this is the first movie I’ve seen in a while that has had my heart beating hard in my chest from start to finish. I also greatly enjoyed the acting and there was only one charcater I didn’t like who unfortunately was the main focus of much of the movie.

Another high point is the ending, somehting that many others seem to disagree with. I, however, found the ending scary and interesting.

Now let’s discuss the movie’s issues, which are in no short supply. First things thirst, while I did commend the acting a few sentences ago, I also said one character brings it down.

This one character (I’ll let you figure out who it is) makes all sorts of stupid decisions and you kind of wonder why the others don’t stop them, except for the one part where said character is pointing a gun at the others. This one ...

• Chernobyl Diaries 2012 Movie
      person is the sole reason for just about every tragic turn of events and they really drag the whole movie down with them.

But pretty much every horror movie has their dumb guy, right? Sadly this movie also suffers from all the drawbacks of a found-footage movie without reaping any of the benefits. I mean, if you’re going to do something don’t half-arse it, you have to go the whole way! Besides that, though, what may be the movie’s biggest issue is that it assumes people are going to like it, leaving

way too many unanswered questions because they probably assumed it would be succesful enough for a sequel.

Which it doesn’t really deserve, but I also kind of want to know what the hell was going on there. All in all, yes it is scary, but at the same time it kind of had some huge glaring flaws that ruined the experience.

I will say this, though: If they decide to make the jump one way or the other with the camera and actually put thought into the characters I would go see the sequel.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111081587170631/k2311a081/8.1.12