Cape Point and Cape Peninsula National Park in South Africa
  • Although the scenery is fabulous and there's a good chance you will see wildlife, I don't think this is one of the best places in South Africa, and definitely not one of my favorites
  • It's a pleasant drive, and the scenery is a lot different than what I saw on the Garden Route, so I did appreciate the later leg of my driving experience to Cape Point
  • Everything is very poorly marked in my opinion, and the names of different lookouts and such are all quite similar so I would think I was headed to the point, and I would end up at a deserted (yet beautiful) beach
  • I also wish I had had much more time to visit because despite getting frustrated by being lost, I really enjoyed where I got lost
  • They are beautiful creatures, and I love that you can see them up close here at Cape Point

• by Melanie Noell

Everyone I talked to when I was in South Africa - particularly Cape Town - told me I absolutely had to visit Cape Point and Cape Peninsula National Park. Although the scenery is fabulous and there’s a good chance you will see wildlife, I don’t think this is one of the best places in South Africa, and definitely not one of my favorites.

Getting to Cape Point and Cape Peninsula is a pain if you are coming from Cape Town by car. You must pass through a treacherous road in the mountains that twists and turns around dramatic cliffs that end in the ocean. Despite being beautiful, it’s very scary. And you have to pay a toll to drive on this road that gets you to Cape Point! The price isn’t too high - maybe $5 each way - but it’s very annoying considering it’s the only way to drive down to Cape Point.

Once you’ve gotten past the scary road, the drive down to Cape Point is pleasant enough, passing through long stretches of

nothing dabbled with towns. It’s a pleasant drive, and the scenery is a lot different than what I saw on the Garden Route, so I did appreciate the later leg of my driving experience to Cape Point. However, between the oddly marked signs and my GPS telling me 8 different things, I ended up getting lost on my way to Cape Point. I was so confused when I drove out to what appeared to be a barren scrubland that was not what I had been expecting at all. I followed different signs this time, and eventually made my way to Cape Point. I really think they need better directions and signs for this big attraction!

Upon entering Cape Point - once you actually reach it - you pay a fee to enter the park. It’s not much - probably around $10 - and it gives you access to the entire park area. The park is actually huge, and I didn’t realize that until I was actually driving around within it. Just like driving to

Cape Point, driving in the park is a nightmare in terms of directions. Everything is very poorly marked in my opinion, and the names of different lookouts and such are all quite similar so I would think I was headed to the point, and I would end up at a deserted (yet beautiful) beach. I got SO lost driving around this park! I also wish I had had much more time to visit because despite getting frustrated by being lost, I really enjoyed where I got lost. If I had more time, I don’t think it would have bothered me much to be lost. You have opportunities for beautiful vistas and views ALL over Cape Point, so getting lost is kind of nice. IF you have the time!

Getting lost was really the worst part of the experience. Another negative about this park is that despite being one of the most famous places in South Africa, it doesn’t really deserve all the recognition. It’s not the southern most tip of South Africa, and although ...

• Cape Point and Cape Peninsula National Park in South Africa
      it is very beautiful and full of fantastic wildlife, it is very similar to many other places I saw in South Africa. I like it, but I saw plenty of beautiful coasts and peaks and wildlife. It’s also incredibly crowded because of its popularity, so once you get to the actual Point, you will find yourself inundated with tourists who take up all the parking. At least they have very clean restrooms and fairly helpful staff working in the tourist areas. They also have a nice gift shop, but I didn’t come to buy souvenirs. The Point itself was my least favorite part of the park, and I chose, instead, to fill most of my time with photographing the beautiful beaches.

Don’t get me wrong though. Cape Point is an AMAZING place to take photographs, enjoy the beauty of nature and just take in the scenery. The coastline is gorgeous, and you will find beautiful, breathtaking views of the mountains in the distance. I had so much fun at every stop I visited, and

most of them had few to no tourists at all. I also found some zebra alongside the road while I was driving, and it’s always fun to spot animals when you’re not looking for them. This was also the first opportunity I got to get really up close to the baboons that seem to run rampant here. They are beautiful creatures, and I love that you can see them up close here at Cape Point. I got so many photographs of them!

Overall, Cape Point and Cape Peninsula National Park is worth a visit, but be prepared for it’s negatives. Tourists are everywhere at the Point, no matter what season you visit, and you are not, in fact, visiting the southernmost tip of Africa. Give yourself lots of time to stop and appreciate all the beauty of the area, and you will appreciate this place a lot more than if you spend all your time at the Point. Although it’s not my favorite place in South Africa, it was definitely a good experience and I’m glad I visited.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3831071587130731/k2311a0731/7.31.12