Boulders Beach in South Africa
  • The park is known for its wild roaming penguins on the beach, and it was an amazing experience to get up close and personal with these creatures
  • Boulders Beach is a bit of a drive from Cape Town, so I recommend that if you want to visit, you plan to visit both here and Cape Point on the same day
  • I really love that once you get close to Boulders, you know it because of the many signs you see warning of penguins crossing the road
  • However, for a real show, you will definitely want to pay the small entrance fee and see the penguins
  • I love this attraction, and I could spend all day here

• by Melanie Noell

This was probably my favorite park I visited when I was in and around the Cape Town area, and it may even have been one of my favorite experiences while visiting South Africa. The park is known for its wild roaming penguins on the beach, and it was an amazing experience to get up close and personal with these creatures!

Boulders Beach is a bit of a drive from Cape Town, so I recommend that if you want to visit, you plan to visit both here and Cape Point on the same day. You’ll have to take a drive down a very frighteningly beautiful roadway that zigzags around mountains, cutting right into the side of enormous rocks. It’s not for the faint of heart, but it’s necessary to get to Boulders Beach. There is also a fee to drive the road, so come prepared to pay both for entrance to the park - which is only about $12 - and for a ride back and forth on the road.

Getting to Boulders Beach can be a little bit confusing once you’ve entered the town. I really love that once you get close to Boulders, you know it because of the many signs you see warning of penguins crossing the road. How exciting! I only saw one penguin that was simply off running around in the town, but people have told me they have seen many more. You can actually see the penguins without even paying to get into the park! However, for a real show, you will definitely want to

pay the small entrance fee and see the penguins.

As with most of South Africa, people who don’t have a lot of money gather around the parking areas to ask for cash from visitors to “watch their car.” Although I don’t know whether or not they are actual employees or simply people looking to make money, I have no problem paying most of these people a few rand to “watch my car.” The man I met there was very sweet and offered me tons of information, including where to enter the park and where I could find penguins without even paying to go in. He didn’t pester me, simply asked for a bit of money to watch my car. It can be a bit of a hassle, but the people there have very very low wages, and I don’t mind helping out, especially when these people are very friendly and very helpful. Not only did he direct me where to go to see the penguins (even though I got lost anyway because I didn’t follow what he said,) he also helped me back out when people were coming into the parking area. If you don’t like people pestering you, I suggest you get out of your car quickly and try to avoid them or simply say no.

The several parking areas near Boulder Beach are plentiful, but they are a bit confusing in their directions to the actual entrance to Boulders Beach. I tried to follow one sign and ended up going in completely the opposite direction. I was really ...

• embarrassed, so I took a few photos of the beach that I found myself on. I tried again in the opposite direction, and I ended up following people rather than signs to the entrance. I really think they need better signs, but as long as you follow people, you will find your way. There are a few shops/cafes along the way and people will stop you for money. As I mentioned before, it doesn’t bother me. The woman who stopped me was working for a charity donating money to HIV awareness. And even if she wasn’t (I’m not saying she wasn’t but just in case,) the amount of money they ask for is so small and the wages are so low that I don’t mind. You can always avoid the people, but I think its a bit rude to not at least say “not interested” or “no thank you.”

Once you get to the entrance of the park, there are a few people around. The people at the gate seemed relatively friendly and helpful, and they accept cash and credit cards. When I went, the credit card machine was down, but on normal days, they do accept it! I am really satisfied with the fact that all the national parks seem to accept cards because there were many times when I did not have cash with me for admission! Through the gate, you walk down a boardwalk to the penguin beach. Again, there aren’t really directions or instructions which I disliked, but you can follow the crowd and you

will find your way. You start to see penguins about halfway and it’s a really amazing feeling to be so close to these creatures in the wild. This is not a zoo or an animal enclosure AT ALL. These are wild penguins on protected breeding ground. You can’t go over the fence, but the penguins get extremely close, and several times they were close enough to reach out and touch. Despite the first few penguins you see being amazing, keep walking because the view ahead is absolutely AMAZING! I was floored to see at least a hundred penguins waddling around the beach, socializing, swimming, and just lying around. They are EVERYWHERE! It’s a fantastic photo opportunity although the crowds of people can get in the way. You may have to wait a few moments to sneak in to get a good look and good photo, but it’s well worth it. You can stay there as long as you like to get your photos, so there’s no hurry. I don’t enjoy the crowds, but as it’s the penguins only protected breeding grounds, it’s bound to be full of visitors.

I spent a good hour here just photographing penguins. If you enjoy the outdoors and seeing animals in their natural habitat, you will go crazy for this park. It’s one of the best photo opportunities I’ve ever had, South Africa or not. I would recommend this park to everyone, despite the poor directions, because honestly, when else will you get so close to WILD penguins?? I love this attraction, and I could spend all day here.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3831071587120731/k2311a0731/7.31.12