Yesterday’s News Cat Litter
1.0
  • I did not want a repeat occurrence, especially since the problem previously only affected me and now would affect my already cat adverse fiance
  • I highly recommend anyone having a pet declawed to talk with your vet about issues you’d need to deal with after a surgery and maybe you would have more luck

• by cmurray081981

I purchased the Yesterday’s News brand cat litter after I had my younger cat declawed. The vet gave me some information recommending using a product like this since regular cat litter can get into the wounds or cause infection. The product is litter made from recycled newspapers in a pellet form. It looks a lot like the Feline Pine flushable litter.

I have two cats and one was already having issues regularly using the litter box since she had just been diagnosed with diabetes. The last thing I wanted to do was get rid of ALL the traditional litter boxes and substitute the Yesterday’s News litter only. I had bad luck with the Feline Pine litter previously in which NEITHER cats I had at

the time, including the one with diabetes before she’d gotten the disease, would use the boxes. They pooped on my bed and peed on the carpet and that behavior had to stop fast. I got rid of the Feline Pine and replaced it with the Tidy Cat scoopable litter I’d used before and they started using the boxes again. I did not want a repeat occurrence, especially since the problem previously only affected me and now would affect my already cat adverse fiance. So, I compromised and filled 2 boxes with the Yesterday’s News litter and half with the regular cat litter.

There was really no way for me to ensure my newly declawed cat would use the litter he was supposed to unless

I locked him in a laundry room by himself all day long, which I did not want to do. There is a whole method for transitioning your cat to the new litter on the product website but the process takes 3 weeks. I don’t have that kind of time, so I had to just fill up a couple boxes and hope the cat would use them. There is advice on the website to plan surgeries in advance so the transition process is complete after the declawing takes place, however I had no idea or advanced warning I would need to change litter. It would have been nice to have a head’s up from the vet.

I had the exact same results that I already ...

• Yesterday's News Cat Litter
      experienced. Neither cat ever used the Yesterday’s News litter. Luckily, my younger cat never developed any issues, but if I had known before his surgery this was recommended I might have had more success using the transition process. I highly recommend anyone having a pet declawed to talk with your vet about issues you’d need to deal with after a surgery and maybe you would have more luck. However, I’m not willing to take any chance of either of my cats using the rest of the house as their own personal bathroom. I would not purchase this product again and in fact I have quite a bit left that I don’t know what to do with. I could also only find the litter in
      the large sized bag, and it would also have been nice to be able to buy a smaller one in case the litter doesn’t work out, like it didn’t for me. I’m sure I would not have used all of it anyway since the healing period is only about a week. I wouldn’t even completely change out the regular litter in that short span of time.

Overall, I would recommend giving this product a try 3 weeks in advance of a planned surgery, but otherwise cats just don’t seem to like it. If you want to use it regularly with any kind of success, go through the transition process or start a kitten on it immediately. Otherwise, I just don’t see the attraction to it over regular clay litter.

Yesterday's News Cat Litter

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2931071587050731/k2311a0731/7.31.12