The Dark Knight Rises
  • For those of you who believed that 'The Avengers' and 'The Amazing Spiderman' would be strong competition for 'The Dark Knight Rises' I'm sorry, but you could not be more wrong
  • I think the thing that made not just this film so successful, but the other two in the series, was how it felt like we were part of this film
  • He definitely is a challenge to Batman and tests him on levels the Joker could never dream of doing
  • I was happy that Nolan paid homage to Heath Ledger and did not mention the Joker throughout the entirety of the film
  • Overall this is a film that I would highly recommend to all, and make sure to take a trip to the toilet before entering the theater, the film is 2 hours and 45 minutes after all

• by Conall Keenan

Read on at the risk of spoilers.

For those of you who believed that ‘The Avengers’ and ‘The Amazing Spiderman’ would be strong competition for ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ I’m sorry, but you could not be more wrong. The other two films were good, but this was on a whole new level. No matter what aspect you looked from, it could only be described as awesome.

One of the things that I liked the most about this film was the close relationship between Bruce and Alfred, and this was made clear to us, the audience. In the scene were Alfred leaves Bruce you may find a catch in your throat, not due to popcorn. Throughout the entire trilogy Alfred has been a beloved character to us, and will be one of the main characters that we will miss.

I think the thing that made not just this film so successful, but the other two in the series, was how it felt like we were part of this film. You’re not just watching this epic conclusion, you’re part

of it.

Anne Hathaway’s performance as Catwoman can only be described as “wow!” It doesn’t matter if she’s wearing her maid outfit, strutting along in her Catwoman outfit or bent over the Batpod she stuns the male audience. Selina Kyle is a complex character, for a while we do not know if she’s here to help us or if we should think of her as a threat. Surprisingly she does not refer to herself as Catwoman in the movie.

In someways ‘Bane’ is better than the ‘Joker,’ but overall the Joker was a much stronger character. The Joker mixed pure evil and an attempt at his rendition of ‘comedy.’ He was a complex character and intrigued the audience. Bane however is more one-dimensional. He definitely is a challenge to Batman and tests him on levels the Joker could never dream of doing. I had a love hate relationship with Bane. In his fight scenes he was great, I loved him. He had me on the edge of my seat, dying for more. But after that he fell.

He sounded like a mixture of Darth Vader and Scooby Doo. His mask did not create the fear that the Joker’s face paint did. I do think however, had Bane been The Dark Knight’s villain and the Joker been The Dark Knight Rises’ I would have liked him more.

Batman has changed from the last film. His early retirement did not do him well and I felt for him. He lost the love of his life and the hero he had created was made out to be a monster. But thankfully he snaps out and becomes the Bruce we know and love.

Now that we are all in a post- Batman depression we hope that there’ll be an announcement of a new film. The rumours were fueled with the ending scene of John Blake inheriting the Bat Cave. Is he the new Batman? Is he Robin? Is he Nightwing? Or is he just going to be a plain old cop? All of these ideas are possible. Just a few scenes before we discover that in ...

• The Dark Knight Rises
      fact his Christian name is ‘Robin’ could this have been a tease put in by Nolan? For months leading up to the release the Internet was alive with Robin rumours. Would he feature in the film? Well, in a sense he did. Right? We were just expecting a different kind of Robin. As for the other three suggestions all of them are possible, as all of them happened. First he becomes Robin, then Night Wing and then finally Bat Man. But, if they are to make Gordon into Bat Man I think he shall not feature in a stand alone film, but if the Justice League is made. It makes sense. Bale is too expensive, DC needs competition with the success of the Avengers. Or could he just be a normal cop, who was inspired by Bat Man to fight for justice (which he does throughout the film). Who knows?

My conclusion is that this is a great film. It did everything that it had to. The film was action packed and left us on the

edge of our seat. I was happy that Nolan paid homage to Heath Ledger and did not mention the Joker throughout the entirety of the film. Some have speculated what happened to the Joker (do a quick Google search and you’ll see what they decided to do in the Dark Knight Comic book story arch) but I guess we shall never know what Nolan wanted to do with him. It was everything that the trilogy supported. I was happy to see Bruce, in a foreign country, eating dinner with a new love interest (take a guess at who that was), making Alfred’s wish come true. There is a surprise twist near the end that changes everything you had believed throughout the film, making many people in the cinema gasp. Overall this is a film that I would highly recommend to all, and make sure to take a trip to the toilet before entering the theater, the film is 2 hours and 45 minutes after all!

Goodbye Nolan’s Batman, you will be strongly missed and remembered forever.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1131071587040731/k2311a0731/7.31.12