RagAppleLassie Vineyards Merlot  » Food  »
2.5
  • I had high hopes when picking out this attractively-bottled red drinking wine, but despite the beautiful bottle and description, I was disappointed by the overall quality and drinkability
  • I know it's not the best reason to buy a wine, but I have found some fantastic wines just by chance buying beautiful bottles
  • This merlot cost about $15 at a local wine shop, which is about what I like to spend on wines
  • Despite often being described as a softer, fruitier wine, I found this one incredibly bitter, especially for a merlot
  • I would even still recommend this wine if you are really into bottle collecting because the bottle itself is just so beautiful

• by Melanie Noell

I had high hopes when picking out this attractively-bottled red drinking wine, but despite the beautiful bottle and description, I was disappointed by the overall quality and drinkability.

To start off with the positives, I was completely sold on this bottle of wine by the beautiful and attractive design on the bottle. I know it’s not the best reason to buy a wine, but I have found some fantastic wines just by chance buying beautiful bottles. I also like to collect bottles, and the lovely imagery of the cow sitting on a crescent moon sipping her wine is a selling point. If you are looking for something unique to add to your wine bottle collection, the design of this bottle is

pretty enough to go ahead and get it despite the mediocre wine.

This merlot cost about $15 at a local wine shop, which is about what I like to spend on wines. I’m always a bit scared to buy wines - especially reds - under $10 for fear that they will be bitter, acidic and give me a headache. The $10-$20 range is typically a fair range for a good wine to drink right now. I don’t really think this wine is worth $15 in terms of taste, so I was a bit disappointed that my tested price assessment had failed me. Merlot is typically a very drinkable wine, and I didn’t want anything too heavy like a shiraz on a hot summer’s day. Despite often being described as a softer, fruitier wine, I found this one incredibly bitter, especially for a merlot. There was a strong acidic flavor as soon as the wine hit my tongue, and as I let it sit in my mouth and eventually swallowed it, there was a strong alcohol kick to the end. I realized I hadn’t swirled it around at all, so I gave it a quick swirl in the glass and tried again. It was still rather bitter, but better than before. It was a tad bit heavy, as well. There was a definite overpowering grape taste in my opinion, and I couldn’t taste too much other than a bitter grape taste. The ...

• RagAppleLassie Vineyards Merlot
      longer the wine sat, the more difficult it became to drink. I’m not saying this was the worst wine, but for a $15 merlot, it was not a good quality or value. I’ve had cheaper wines with a more pleasant taste than this one. It was also disappointing because I’ve read good things about the winery producing this wine. I guess I’ll have to try their other varieties because this one definitely wasn’t impressive.

A positive note about this wine was that despite the strong alcohol aftertaste, this wine didn’t make me feel head-y like some wines - especially reds - have a tendency to do. It actually was quite nice to drink with food if you removed the bitterness, which

makes it very disappointing that it was not a better tasting wine! And after a few glasses, I didn’t have a headache then or when I woke up the next morning. The morning-after wine headache is a reason I tend to steer clear of wines, but this one left me feeling fine.

I really wish this wine had more to offer in flavor than it did because I liked how drinkable it was. I also love the design on the bottle. I would even still recommend this wine if you are really into bottle collecting because the bottle itself is just so beautiful. However, if you are looking for a good mid-priced wine to drink, there are many better merlots out there for your money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2730071586930431/k2311a0730/7.30.12