St. Ives Hypo-Allergenic Purify Exfoliating Body Wash  » Cosmetics  »
  • Although it's not my favorite smelling product, it's definitely one of my favorite body washes for a lot of other reasons
  • I love great smelling soaps - it just livens up your shower when you smell something really tropical or fragrant
  • Unfortunately, the closest thing this product smells like is just plain old soap
  • It's more of an unfortunate pain in the butt than it is a problem though, as a little bit of shaking or leaving the bottle upside down can fix the problem

• by Melanie Noell

I am always looking for newer, better body wash options, so that’s why I tried St. Ives Purify Exfoliating body wash. I’ve had good luck with St. Ives products in the past, and I liked the natural exfoliating ingredients. Although it’s not my favorite smelling product, it’s definitely one of my favorite body washes for a lot of other reasons.

St. Ives Purify Exfoliating body wash is available at most drug stores, grocery stores and super stores like Target and Walmart. I picked mine up at Target for under $4 for 24 fluid ounces, and it has been lasting me for quite some time. If you use it right (just a quarter-sized dollop of body wash at most on your loofah,) a single bottle can last for months, making this body wash an excellent value for the money. I don’t normally find exfoliating body washes - especially ones

with natural ingredients - for such a low price.

I mentioned before that I liked the natural exfoliants: on the bottle, they advertise that 100% of the exfoliating ingredients are natural. They use sea kelp and mineral salt in the body wash to give your skin a good scrub, and it works great. The exfoliants aren’t too rough on my skin, and yet they do a fantastic job at leaving my skin clean AND silky smooth. The product also claims that the kelp, packed full of vitamins and minerals, boosts your skins sheen by depositing vitamins onto the skin’s surface. Although I’m skeptical of whether it’s the vitamins making my skin look so good, I definitely notice a brighter radiance to my skin that before using the product.

The product is not without its problems, though, but fortunately, they are all pretty superficial. I love great smelling soaps - ...

• it just livens up your shower when you smell something really tropical or fragrant. Unfortunately, the closest thing this product smells like is just plain old soap. There’s even a bit of mineral-y acidity to the scent, and although it doesn’t smell BAD, it’s definitely not a yummy shower smell. Fortunately, the scent is very light, so it’s not like it overwhelms your shower or your overall fragrance. In fact, when I get out of the shower, I just smell clean after using this product. The other problem for me is the bottle. I’m not sure if it’s the type of plastic they use or the shape of the bottle, but it can be very difficult to coax the product out of the bottle once you have used about half of it. It squeezes together very easily in the middle but not so much anywhere else, so
        all of the product sort of hides in the not-so-easily squeezed parts of the bottle. It’s more of an unfortunate pain in the butt than it is a problem though, as a little bit of shaking or leaving the bottle upside down can fix the problem.

For the socially conscious, this is also a great buy. The bottle is made out of recyclable plastics 2 and 5, and is clearly marked on the label to help you sort your recyclables. I was also excited to see that it isn’t tested on animals, which means I will continue using the St. Ives brand for a long time to come.

Overall, this is a really good buy in terms of exfoliating body wash. It’s affordable, environmentally-conscious, and leaves you soft, smooth and clean. It may take a little extra work to get the product out, but at $4, what can you expect?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3130071586910431/k2311a0730/7.30.12