Frontline Plus Topical Flea and Tick Preventative for Dogs
  • Frontline Plus was the first flea and tick preventative I used on my dogs, but I found that it was ineffective when the weather created an increase in the flea population
  • Although it's a good product, it's definitely not my top choice for flea and tick preventative
  • The most expensive per treatment is the 3 pack, so if you can afford it, I recommend customers purchase the 6 pack
  • I lived in Ohio for a long time, and I never had a problem with fleas, but when I moved to Georgia, Frontline stopped working after about three weeks

• by Melanie Noell

Frontline Plus was the first flea and tick preventative I used on my dogs, but I found that it was ineffective when the weather created an increase in the flea population. Although it’s a good product, it’s definitely not my top choice for flea and tick preventative.

Frontline Plus comes in three different sizes: 3 pack, 6 pack and 12 pack. Although I am sure there are plenty of people out there that can benefit from this, it personally bothers me that they don’t sell in multiples of 2. I have two dogs, and I always think 3 is an odd number to sell these in. The price of course goes up with the number of treatments in

the pack giving an overall discount when you purchase more. It’s typically cheaper per treatment to buy the 6 pack because the 12 pack is usually more expensive. The most expensive per treatment is the 3 pack, so if you can afford it, I recommend customers purchase the 6 pack.

Another thing that personally bothers me about the packs is that the cut off between medium and large dogs is 45 pounds. My dogs are 30 pounds and 50 pounds, so I actually have to buy the two different weight groups, and the 50 pound one costs more than the 30 pound. Although I understand that every medication has to have a cut off somewhere, I find it weird because most other flea and tick medications cut off at a higher point and I can get away with buying just one package. It makes it way more expensive to buy the larger packs, too.

Overall, the Frontline is a pretty good flea medication if you live in a cooler climate, but it does not compare to Advantage II if you live in a hot climate with high flea populations. I lived in Ohio for a long time, and I never had a problem with fleas, but when I moved to Georgia, Frontline stopped working after about three weeks. I had to reapply which made it even more expensive. However, it lasted longer than Advantix, which ...

• Frontline Plus Topical Flea and Tick Preventative for Dogs
      is a comparable flea and tick medication. And since it has tick medication, unlike Advantage II, I felt completely comfortable taking my dogs in the forest and in other places where there were lots of ticks. As long as I was using Frontline, I never had a tick problem on any of my dogs even when we went hiking through dense brush.

Frontline is available at vets and online, and you can get it cheaper online. However, I do like that the product is endorsed by vets. When I am in an area with cooler climates, Frontline is my top choice as a flea and tick preventative because it helps defend against fleas, but it definitely doesn’t stand

up when there are a lot of fleas. This product is also waterproof, so it’s especially good for those who go hiking in places with creeks and lakes since the medication won’t wash off when dogs go swimming. You should give it a day or two before coming in contact with water, but overall, I have never had problem with my dogs “washing off” their medication.

If you’re in a cooler climate, Frontline is a really good option for flea and tick preventative. You may need to apply a week early if there are a lot of fleas, but it’s definitely a good combination medication. I’d recommend it for a good, relatively cost-effective flea and tick treatment for dogs.

Jill says :

re : Although it’s a good product, it’s definitely not my top choice for flea and tick preventative
The original frontline was great, however there was a change in formula causing the med to be less effective. I have other flea and tick prevention methods I use now.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2930071586900431/k2311a0730/7.30.12