Tamron lens for Canon  » Cameras  »
  • I bought this lens ( Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD ) because I was going on safari to South Africa, and I wanted something for long-distance shots
  • Having very little experience with DSLR photography, I relied on the experiences employees at the camera shop to guide me, and everyone there recommended this lens for what I needed
  • I have been using it ever since, and I think it's a really fantastic lens
  • I bought this lens because they told me the Tamron beat out the Canon in image quality, but I keep using it because I'm really impressed with the results
  • I'd recommend it to anyone who's looking for a durable 70-300mm lens

• by Melanie Noell

I bought this lens ( Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD ) because I was going on safari to South Africa, and I wanted something for long-distance shots. Having very little experience with DSLR photography, I relied on the experiences employees at the camera shop to guide me, and everyone there recommended this lens for what I needed. I have been using it ever since, and I think it’s a really fantastic lens.

I don’t know a whole lot about DSLR cameras and lenses, but I’ve learned a fair amount from my experience thus far. I bought this lens because they told me the Tamron beat out the Canon in image quality, but I keep using it because I’m really impressed with the results. Even though it’s simply what the lens is meant to

do, it never fails to impress me how clear and focused my images turn out when I’m photographing from far away. Thanks to this lens, I got some wonderful photos of animals in the distance that I never would have gotten otherwise. It’s also an interesting way to get candids of people without seeming imposing because you can get such close-up images.

This is definitely not a lens you would want as your only lens, simply because it can be fairly difficult to take pictures if you are too close to your subject. I learned the hard way that you have to be a certain distance back for the camera to actually shoot while this lens is on, but it’s a learning process. I later looked up the specs and discovered that in any preset, you must be 59 inches away from the subject for the camera to focus; if you’re in macro preset, you can be just under 38 inches away. Of course, this lens isn’t intended for objects you can get really close to, and if you set it to macro, you’ll be surprised at how close you can actually get. As much as I love this lens, you should definitely have a smaller lens for everyday shooting.

The lens itself is a bit heavy at 1.2 lbs, and it does add a fair amount of bulk to your camera. I have found both positives and negatives about its size. On a positive note, I enjoy the size because it is incredibly difficult to lose - and I lose everything. It’s also got a lot of space for you to use your ...

• Tamron lens for Canon
      hand under the lens to really cradle it and angle it exactly how you want it. Unfortunately, it can be a bit of a problem if you are zoomed all of the way because the heaviness of the lens can make it difficult to steady your hand to take the shot. I actually like having the weight and bulk because of the physicality of taking photographs, but I think it could be a problem for some.

Canon and Tamron both make an 18-270 lens that is much smaller and versatile, but the cost jumps up considerably. These lenses are typically about $650-$700, whereas my Tamron 70-300 cost a bit under $400. If you already have a smaller, everyday lens, it simply makes more sense to get this Tamron 70-300 lens because it gets closer, gives amazing images

and costs less. Plus you won’t have two lenses that do the same thing!

I’ve found that this lens is rather durable, and I’m very grateful for that. I tend to beat my equipment up, and although I haven’t dropped it too badly, this lens has proven to take my beatings. I bought the lens cap separately to protect it (it does annoy me that lenses don’t come with lens caps, but as it is a universal standard, I can’t discredit this lens alone for this shortcoming!) but it has been doing really well since I lost it about two months ago.

This Tamron lens is a great deal for what it is. It’s a bit heavy, but it takes amazing pictures and it’s a great price. I’d recommend it to anyone who’s looking for a durable 70-300mm lens.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4330071586890431/k2311a0730/7.30.12