Nutri-Vet Dental Gel for Dogs in Liver Flavor
1.5
  • I was a bit worried when I noticed that my younger dog was showing more signs of plaque on his back teeth than my older dog, so I decided to get a doggie toothpaste to try and care for his teeth a bit better
  • And it definitely worked with both of my dogs
  • Unfortunately, the step up to the toothbrush was met with a bit of resistance
  • I guess that's not the fault of the toothpaste, but my problem is that it is extremely ineffective if not used with a toothbrush
  • I'd recommend investing in a professional teeth cleaning if you are really worried because this product is quite ineffective

• by Melanie Noell

I was a bit worried when I noticed that my younger dog was showing more signs of plaque on his back teeth than my older dog, so I decided to get a doggie toothpaste to try and care for his teeth a bit better. I went to PetSmart and tried this Nutri-Vet Dental Gel, and I’m very unimpressed.

The good thing about this doggie toothpaste is that it seems to be a pleasant enough flavor for dogs to actually let you stick it in their mouth and “brush” their teeth. I have used it on both of my dogs, one of whom is TERRIBLE about grooming, going to the vet, baths, etc, and he was actually quite agreeable to this product. I accredit it to the flavor since he seemed to

lick it off my finger when I didn’t have a finger or toothbrush in his mouth. They offer instructions on the back saying to start out using your finger as a toothbrush, then to advance to a brush which I really appreciate the advice. I would have never guessed a finger could be so less invasive, but it makes sense. And it definitely worked with both of my dogs.

Unfortunately, the step up to the toothbrush was met with a bit of resistance. I guess that’s not the fault of the toothpaste, but my problem is that it is extremely ineffective if not used with a toothbrush. I have tried just about everything, and it is always a struggle to brush my dogs teeth with a doggie toothbrush and doggie toothpaste.

I actually had more luck with an old human tooth brush that I put the doggie toothpaste on! I know it’s not the fault of the company, but this product just seems kind of impossible to use (and get results) unless you have the most passive dog ever. Even my calmer younger dog has issue once the toothbrush is pulled out! In the end, I’ve barely been able to get much plaque removed with this product that I couldn’t do by simply scratching at it with my fingernail.

As for freshening breath, I’m kind of torn on the effectiveness. On one hand, this product smells absolutely awful. I guess I shouldn’t have picked up liver flavor if I wanted it to smell nice, but the stench is awful. There is a ...

• Nutri-Vet Dental Gel for Dogs in Liver Flavor
      definite meat smell to it mixed with a slight minty fragrance that is just totally overpowered by that meat smell. I thought maybe it would be better once it was on my dogs mouth, but not really. It still smells like meaty mint. The only time I really thought this made my dog’s breath smell any better is when my dog decided to try and eat some dog droppings and I promptly cleaned his mouth out with this dental gel and toothbrush. No, it wasn’t a better smell than it had been the last time I used it, but it was definitely better than the awful stench of dog droppings.

I should also mention that this stuff has a really weird consistency that is kind of like a wet cream. It’s

awful to put on your finger and swoosh around, and since the consistency is somewhat thin, it seems to disappear in no time, meaning you have to put more on your finger or toothbrush. The tube says that it contains no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, for which I’m thankful, but I simply can’t use this product solely based on its use of natural ingredients.

Overall, I don’t like this product at all. For $10 (plus whatever you spend on a toothbrush for your dog,) this is not worth it. It doesn’t leave your dog’s breath smelling very fresh and it’s hard to actually clean your dog’s teeth with the runny cream. I’d recommend investing in a professional teeth cleaning if you are really worried because this product is quite ineffective.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2930071586810431/k2311a0730/7.30.12