Ciprofloxacin Prescription Oral Antibiotic  » Medicine  »
  • I believe I paid something like $15 for 20 pills, which made it an inexpensive precaution that I could hold onto just in case in other travel situations
  • I went online and read the precautions again before taking it, but I decided the small chance for side effects (they're not terrible side effects, don't worry
  • I don't know if others have had that experience, but every pill I swallowed was a struggle, and I have no problems taking vitamins that are larger
  • I did stop taking it a bit early and didn't suffer any relapses (for which I'm very fortunate,) but I would recommend taking the full dose just in case, especially for typhoid since it's a nasty illness
  • It's a real pain in the butt to take the pills because they're so dry and hard to swallow, but they definitely make you feel better, and relatively fast

• by Melanie Noell

I was prescribed Ciprofloxacin as a precautionary measure when traveling to South Africa. The travel doctor told me it was good for “Montezuma’s Revenge” or common “traveler’s diarrhea,” and I should take it with me just in case. Although I didn’t get any of that common stuff, it did prove to be very effective for something else I picked up, and I’m so glad I had it with me.

I’m very nosy about my prescriptions, so the first thing I did when I got the prescription was look up all the facts about side effects, drug interactions, history of the drug and chemical makeup. This antibiotic is commonly prescribed for traveler’s diarrhea, but it also can be used for a host of other illnesses like typhoid. However, it’s typically used as a second or third line of defense because it has a lot of side effects that other antibiotics don’t. This alone almost made me skip filling my prescription, but fortunately, I got the medicine as a precaution.

It’s a relatively cheap medicine, less than a dollar per pill. I believe I paid something like $15 for 20 pills, which made it an inexpensive precaution that I could hold onto just in case in other travel

situations.

I didn’t think much of the medicine until I ended up getting really sick the day after going out to a really nice dinner. I actually had caught typhoid, probably from someone mishandling food, and it was an awful feeling. What’s weird about typhoid is that it can make you constipated but still nauseated and emptying your stomach every 20-30 minutes. I felt absolutely awful for several hours, making my way between a bed and the bathroom for quite some time before I remembered that I had the Ciprofloxacin.

I went online and read the precautions again before taking it, but I decided the small chance for side effects (they’re not terrible side effects, don’t worry. I just hate taking medicine!) was not nearly as scary as continuing feeling sick for up to 3 days. The first pill I took was really difficult to get down, and not because I was feeling sick. The pills are large, but not incredibly so. However, there’s something about it - maybe it’s incredibly dry? - that makes it more difficult to swallow for me. I don’t know if others have had that experience, but every pill I swallowed was a struggle, and I have no problems taking ...

• vitamins that are larger. It was also dry in my throat, and I could sort of feel it go down to my stomach, but again, I’m not sure if others have had this experience. To me, though, it’s a very unpleasant pill to take.

After about ten minutes, I was feeling sick again and convinced that the medicine was not working. Fortunately, though, about an hour later, I began to feel like I could sit up in bed and actually not worry whether I would make it to the bathroom. I didn’t feel that awful pain in my stomach nearly as bad, and I didn’t throw up after that. The Ciprofloxacin didn’t entirely cure things, but it made it so much more bearable. I could get a bit of food down, a bit of water down, and keep my head up, which was a huge improvement. I still felt sick and weak, of course, but I knew I would need to keep taking the medicine.

The directions say you are supposed to take one every 12 hours for 10 days for typhoid. I took two within about 6 hours when I started to feel symptoms coming back, and then I stuck to the 12 hour

regimen. What made me so happy about this medicine is that despite the fact that I continued to be sick for a few more days after, I felt well enough within two days to do normal activities. I had a horseback safari scheduled that I was terrified I was going to miss, but I contribute my ability to go to the effectiveness of the Cyprofloxacin. I didn’t feel 100%, but I felt well enough to survive through it. I did stop taking it a bit early and didn’t suffer any relapses (for which I’m very fortunate,) but I would recommend taking the full dose just in case, especially for typhoid since it’s a nasty illness!

Overall, if you’re traveling overseas, this is an inexpensive pill that I definitely recommend, especially if you’re going places with different sanitary practices than what your body is familiar with. It’s better to be safe then sorry. I actually had a typhoid vaccination and still got the disease. The Cipro took care of it and made me feel a lot better. It’s a real pain in the butt to take the pills because they’re so dry and hard to swallow, but they definitely make you feel better, and relatively fast.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2627071586710831/k2311a0727/7.27.12