ASUS EEE Pad Slider SL101 Tablet  » Computers  »
2.0
  • Although it's a nice laptop with a convenient keyboard, there's not much else to this tablet
  • First of all, this tablet cost about $600, and when we purchased it, the pie was even higher if you wanted the white model
  • The tablet itself is nicely designed, and in my opinion, it's just as nice looking from the front as the iPad
  • I'm not sure how it compares to other regular tablets, but the Nook definitely has it beat for being able to use it in the sun and still read what the screen says
  • I don't think it would be so scary on a cheaper model

• by Melanie Noell

My dad bought this tablet for one reason - it has an attached keyboard that slides out from underneath, transforming this tablet into a miniature laptop. Although it’s a nice laptop with a convenient keyboard, there’s not much else to this tablet.

First of all, this tablet cost about $600, and when we purchased it, the pie was even higher if you wanted the white model. I think that’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s expensive enough and then to charge more for a different color?! Ridiculous. We didn’t get the white one on principle. The price we payed was for the largest amount of storage, but you can get the tablet about $100 cheaper if you sacrifice some of the memory. I’m not sure why we got the huge memory, though, since my dad never uses it for programs that require lots of memory!

The tablet itself is nicely designed, and in my opinion, it’s just as nice looking from

the front as the iPad. It has a big bold screen with a nice frame around it, and the rectangular screen is much more aesthetically pleasing than some of the ones with rounded corners. However, as soon as you look at the product from the side, it loses some of its appeal. The keyboard is great, but it makes the tablet look extremely clunky - I am pretty sure that the MacBook Air is thinner than this tablet, and maybe even my regular laptop. In its defense, it’s still smaller in dimensions than my laptop.

The keyboard also makes this tablet incredibly heavy. It is not fun to hold this tablet up for long periods of time because it hurts your wrists to hold such a clunky item up. That makes reading and playing a lot of games/apps a bit uncomfortable, which is the main thing I use the tablet for. And if you want to read,

• the reflective screen makes it quite difficult. I’m not sure how it compares to other regular tablets, but the Nook definitely has it beat for being able to use it in the sun and still read what the screen says!

As for the actual functionality of the product, I found it pretty easy to use. I never got the manual because you had to download it online, and I was too lazy. I picked up most of the stuff intuitively, like where to find stuff, how to check internet settings, how to turn on airport mode, etc. I actually really like the store that its hooked up to that lets you buy games/apps, and I actually really like the Android operating system it runs on. Again, it’s very intuitive. What I don’t like, however, is that it gets very overloaded very quickly and easily. What I mean by this is that when browsing the internet, if I

have more than one tab open, and perhaps I left my photo gallery open, the tablet freaks out, freezes, and often boots me off the internet. It has nothing to do with internet connection because it happens with all the internet connections I’ve used. It just feels like it’s overloaded even though it has hardly anything actually downloaded onto it.

As a Mac person, I am also constantly fearful of this tablet getting a virus, and I think the fear stems from the hefty price tag attached to it. I don’t think it would be so scary on a cheaper model.

Overall, this isn’t my favorite tablet. It’s a nice option to have the keyboard, but because it has to fit within the constraints of a tablet’s size, it’s actually quite uncomfortable to type on. You’d be better off getting a keyboard to attach to another tablet that’s much lighter, much less clunky, and likely less expensive.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1927071586690831/k2311a0727/7.27.12