The Tile Shop  » Business  »
1701 South 108th Street West Allis WI 53214
  • They said they brought in color samples of their cabinets, countertop and paint color and the staff had been able to recommend to them suitable matches
  • They also have these neat handheld devices that they use to swipe cards and email your receipt to you which was fast and convenient and didn’t create paper waste
  • My fiance and I decided to install it ourselves since most of our friends and coworkers advised us it was not at all difficult
  • There is no extra cost to attend these classes
  • I think it’s great that they offer weekly classes to help you complete your own project to save money on installation, but beware

• by cmurray081981

My fiance has been working on remodeling our kitchen for the past few months. When we finally got to the point in which we needed to decide what tile we would use for the backsplash we were stuck. We checked local home improvement stores but their selection was mediocre, to say the least. Some relatives had also just completed a remodel and we asked them what they had done. They recommended we go to The Tile Shop as they did. They said they brought in color samples of their cabinets, countertop and paint color and the staff had been able to recommend to them suitable matches. We decided to head over to the store and see what they had to offer.

We were greeted immediately upon entering the store and offered help. They pointed us to the area of the store where the backsplashes were located but didn’t linger, which allowed us to look and share our own opinions without having someone stand there watching over our shoulders. I really enjoy this approach since there seems to be a lot less sales pressure. I’m inclined to not purchase anything if I feel the sales associates are pushy. They did come back in a reasonable amount of time to offer suggestions which were very helpful, and did take our color scheme and personal preference into account as they recommended backsplashes we might be interested in.

I do not care for typical mosaic tile since it reminds me of public locker rooms and bathrooms. I much preferred the small rectangular tile arranged in random patterns. The Tile Shop had plenty of backsplashes to choose from that fit these criteria, and even a few mosaic patterns that were unique and contemporary. We were able to easily purchase one sheet of each tile sample we liked to take home and view in our own kitchen, which was important since many tiles did not

look the same in our home as they did in the store. They also have these neat handheld devices that they use to swipe cards and email your receipt to you which was fast and convenient and didn’t create paper waste. They assured us once we had finished using the samples we could return them for a full refund, as long as they weren’t damaged, of course. We took the samples home and found the perfect backsplash.

My fiance and I decided to install it ourselves since most of our friends and coworkers advised us it was not at all difficult. The Tile Shop does not install any of their products but they can recommend sub-contractors to do the job, or rent the equipment to do it yourselfers like us. Luckily we knew someone who had a tile cutter, so all we had to do was purchase the thinset, sealer, grout and caulk.

We had never done a backsplash before, and my fiance tried to look online for instructions. He did not have much luck finding anything but instructions on how to lay floor tile and so I went back on The Tile Shop’s website and found that they offer instructional classes every Saturday morning. My fiance attended this class and was able to get help on how to install both backsplash tile and floor tile, which was important since we eventually decided to lay floor tile in the kitchen as well. There is no extra cost to attend these classes.

We did also purchase the grout, sealer and caulk from The Tile Shop, though I believe my fiance wishes he had not done so. We talked with an employee about how much thinset and grout to buy and he told us how much he thought we would need. While we thought it would be relatively easy to install the tile since it had the mesh backing on it,

• when we got home and opened the packages we found that they seemed to be divided into two separate batches. Half of the design we received matched up with itself and the other half did not match the first half, but it did match within the second half of the batch. This meant that if we wanted to set one piece of the tile on the mesh backing we could not use another piece from the second back because the tiles were not aligned in the same way and they could not butt up next to each other without having to cut tiles. We were disappointed because we thought each piece was laid out in the exact same alignment so any set of tile could be installed together. We tried to minimize the work by putting the one set up on one wall and the other on the second. Luckily we had a typical L shaped kitchen with only two walls needing coverage. We did run out of tile on the second wall and had to cut a set in half in order to make it fit. With all the extra work, it did end up taking us 8 hours simply to adhere the backsplash tiles to the wall.

We let the tiles dry over that weekend and were set to grout the next weekend. However, we again run into issues. This time we found that the amount of grout recommended by the employee at the Tile Shop was adequate for about half of the coverage we needed. The store was about a half hour drive from our house, so my fiance went to the local home improvement store to get more grout. Unfortunately, he found that the colors did not quite match up, even though we had just gotten a plain white color. Now he had wasted money on grout he could not use and had to waste

time going back to The Tile Shop to get more.

Overall, I love the backsplash we purchased from The Tile Shop. It’s very unique and we get lots of compliments on it. However, I highly recommend that you check with someone about how you can guarantee your tiles will be from one lot that matches up so it will not cause you extra work. I also recommend either purchasing the supplies from your local home improvement store or purchase extra since you can always take it back if you don’t need it. It’s very annoying to have to stop in the middle of your project and get more supplies if you run out.

I do highly recommend anyone looking for unique and high end tile to come to The Tile Shop. The employees are very knowledgeable about design and technique and how to care for your flooring. They carry ceramic tile, porcelain tile, natural stone, and even granite. I think it’s great that they offer weekly classes to help you complete your own project to save money on installation, but beware. The unique tile options come with a matching price tag. We recently went back to The Tile Shop to look for flooring and one particular tile caught my eye. When we saw it cost $8 each for an oddly shaped rectangular tile that was smaller than 12 x 12, meaning we would need to purchase more, we decided to go get a very similar tile from HOBO instead for about $2 a square foot. It’s always at least a good idea to go to the store and see what they have to offer. You might find something you fall in love with and are willing to pay for, like we did with our expensive backsplash, but you can also get a feel for what will look good in your home that you can find elsewhere for a much more reasonable price.

kantibhai vadhvana says :

Being a civil engineer, I appreciate your review on tile shop, definitely they provide excellent service as well as very good quality of material….

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4127071586590831/k2311a0727/7.27.12