Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream
  • I bought this leave-in conditioner when I felt that my Paul Mitchell one wasn't working as well as it used to, and I am totally hooked
  • It's an advertising scheme, in my opinion, and the results must have been taken from girls with hair that is naturally sleek
  • I admit that it is better than when I don't use the product - or use similar products - but it definitely doesn't repel humidity like the ads claim

• by Melanie Noell

I bought this leave-in conditioner when I felt that my Paul Mitchell one wasn’t working as well as it used to, and I am totally hooked. It leaves my hair soft and smooth, and it is much more affordable!

This leave-in conditioner comes in a bright green bottle, typical of all the Garnier Fructis products. Even if it weren’t with the rest of the Garnier Fructis products, it would be easily findable. I really like the bottle because they used a soft enough plastic that it makes it really easy to squeeze the product out, even when you are getting low. The nozzle style “lid” (kind of like what comes on some water bottles) isn’t the greatest, though, since you can get built up product clogging the hole and hardening on the bottle itself.

The 10.2 fluid ounce bottle only costs about $4, which is a lot better than my expensive Paul Mitchell leave-in

product. It also smells much better with a fruity floral scent almost reminiscent of rose. The consistency is very creamy unlike the more gel-like Paul Mitchell conditioner, and it easily smoothes right into your hair. It says you can apply it damp or dry, but I find that a little bit of both work best. If you apply the conditioner when your hair is too wet, it seems to kind of “slide” right off the hair and not really penetrate to make it softer. The same is true if you put it on damp hair and let it air dry - it works best when you put it in damp then blow dry it and add a bit before it’s completely dry to any spots that may have gotten missed.

I do find that I use a bit more of this product than other leave-in conditioners, but because the price is so low,

• I don’t really mind. It leaves my hair feeling incredibly soft, which is a miracle on my dry, somewhat coarse hair. It says it is specifically formulated for dry, frizzy and unmanageable hair, and it works great on mine, delivering some much needed moisture to my hair, especially after I use chemicals like hair dye on it. The oils they use in the ingredients are Moroccan Argan oil and Apricot. I’ve never used apricot oil by itself, but the Argan oil by itself can end up leaving my ends almost greasy. That’s not the case with the Fructis Leave-In Conditioner, though.

The bottle also claims that it helps your hair stay sleek for up to 3 days in 97% humidity which I can tell you is absolutely ridiculous. It’s an advertising scheme, in my opinion, and the results must have been taken from girls with hair that is naturally sleek. My hair is

prone to frizziness and flyaways, and as soon as the humidity goes above 50%, my hair, regardless of whether this product is in it or not, tends to get wavy and a bit frizzy. I admit that it is better than when I don’t use the product - or use similar products - but it definitely doesn’t repel humidity like the ads claim. And although it keeps my hair SOFT for up to 3 days, it definitely doesn’t keep it flyaway-free or straight - I always need to run a flat iron over it to keep the flyaways at bay!

Overall, it’s a very good product at a very good price. The advertising makes some extraordinary claims, but most people know those aren’t true anyway. You may go through more of this product than other leave-in products, but the results are really great and my hair still hasn’t adapted to it and stopped working.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3126071586510731/k2311a0726/7.26.12