The Parlor Salon  » Business  »
N96 W17035 Division Rd Germantown WI 53022
  • I decided I no longer wanted to pay people to be rude to me, so I looked at the local WISN A-list Best of Awards to find a new salon
  • I always make sure to explain what I like about the style I’ve chosen so she knows exactly what I’m looking for, even if the picture shows a model with different color, texture or thickness to her hair and Jen does a great job mimicking the style as best she can
  • She might recommend something or give me a small sample of a new product but she never makes me feel like I’m obligated to buy anything extra
  • Still, it did appear that my skin darkened immediately and she should have noticed that my arm had not been sprayed with the tanning solution
  • I would only rate The Parlor a 9 out of 10 due to one awkward experience

• by cmurray081981

I’ve been going to have my hair cut at The Parlor by Jen for the last 3 years. Previously I was going to Erik of Norway and while the stylists there did a good job of cutting and styling my hair, they were not very pleasant people to deal with. I decided I no longer wanted to pay people to be rude to me, so I looked at the local WISN A-list Best of Awards to find a new salon. The Parlor was listed in the top 5 and was closest to my home, so I made the decision to switch.

So far I have not regretted my decision once. Jen is very talented, reasonably priced and is one of the nicest people I’ve had the pleasure of doing business with. She always does a great job of cutting my hair. For most of the time I’ve been going to see her I’ve been trying to grow out my hair. With regular appointments, my hair grew out much longer than it had in years and with her help it stayed healthy and looked great. I’d been told by my stylist at Erik of Norway that if I grew my hair too long it would look stringy and she actually refused to allow me to do it. With Jen styling my hair it never looked stringy. I suspect that the old stylist simply did not know how to handle long, fine hair. The last few times I’ve been to see her I was interested in making a bit more of a drastic change and I brought in examples of what I liked from hair magazines. I always make sure to explain what I like about the style I’ve chosen so

she knows exactly what I’m looking for, even if the picture shows a model with different color, texture or thickness to her hair and Jen does a great job mimicking the style as best she can. She places just as much importance on what I want compared to what we can actually do with my hair and face shape. I also like that she never tries to push expensive products on me or tries to convince me to get my hair colored by her as well. She might recommend something or give me a small sample of a new product but she never makes me feel like I’m obligated to buy anything extra. She has even given me advice on what kind of at home hair color to use. She also usually ends up curling my hair or doing something unusual with it without me asking for something in particular. She’s very quick when she curls my hair, which I can never do myself, so I always end up with a really cute style that I would not be able to replicate on my own. I’ve also told her about some hair tools I’ve tried in the past without much luck and she told me to simply bring them in next time and she could show me how to use them.

I’ve also had a spray tan done by Chevelle prior to a vacation I took in March. I knew I’d look especially pale after a long winter and she did an excellent job of giving me a natural looking tan. I suspect it takes a certain level of skill to complete a tanning session on someone who is very pale without making the tan look too dark or ...

• too orange. Chevelle is also very professional and personable and does a quick and thorough job of airbrush tanning. The cost is very reasonable as well. She only charges $25 for a full body tanning session and I was in and out within 20 minutes. My only complaint is that when she started the airbrush machine it didn’t appear to be dispensing the tanning solution right away and one of my arms ended up not getting tanned in one spot. I was able to correct this on my own with an at home tanning product. Still, it did appear that my skin darkened immediately and she should have noticed that my arm had not been sprayed with the tanning solution. I would certainly go back again for another session prior to a vacation but since I’m quite pale naturally I would probably not go back on a weekly basis.

My only unpleasant experience happened when Jen was out on maternity leave. She recommended another stylist by the name of Alona since she would be out for about 10 weeks. Alona just did an OK job of trimming my hair. When I got home I noticed my hair still looked greasy. Though she did take me to the washing station I wondered if she forgot to wash my hair. I still don’t know if she just used conditioner or if she doesn’t offer shampooing unless you ask for it. I was not very happy I left an appointment with dirty hair. She was also not very easy to talk with. Many stylists I’ve encountered are very snobby, especially if they work at an upscale salon, and some are just sort of phony. I got this impression with Alona. She was

just asking generic questions and not really listening to what I was saying. I almost got the impression she was thinking of other generic questions to ask me while I answered. I tried to respond with open ended questions to initiate a natural conversation but she only gave me one or two word answers making the visit very awkward. I was happy Jen was back in time for my next scheduled appointment!

Other than my one negative experience with one stylist, the other members of the staff are very welcoming. They always offer me something to drink when I arrive and I never have to wait too long for Jen to greet me. I wish they allowed the option to tip on a credit or debit card, but it’s not too difficult to make out a separate check or remember to have cash on hand. The salon itself is also very open and modern and there are a lot of large windows that allow natural sunlight. I also like that they offer a variety of Aveda products in full and sample sizes and even jewelry from local designers. The location is very close to the freeway off ramp and it’s also really easy to find with lots of parking. They used to be in a much smaller and darker location that was a bit off the beaten path, so it was a great decision for the owners to make to expand their facility and move into a newer building. I would only rate The Parlor a 9 out of 10 due to one awkward experience. I highly recommend to anyone who is looking for a pleasant and talented staff to perform multiple types of salon and spa services to go to The Parlor in Germantown.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4125071585960531/k2311a0725/7.25.12