AT&T U-Verse Digital Television Service
3.3
  • It cost more in different areas, the On Demand and pay per view features never worked, the serviceman arrived an hour late to install my cable box and took half a day to hook it up for me in my CABLE READY apartment and he had to ask me if I knew where the hook up was, and anytime I needed to call service I would be placed on hold for at least 45 minutes
  • Also, we never noticed until a friend came over to watch a football game but our box was not set to broadcast in 1080p automatically
  • I know they now have those new wireless boxes and we thought that the issues might be due at least in part to the age of our box
  • They said they had to run diagnostics on the box to determine if there were issues before they would even consider replacing it
  • Unfortunately, choosing your television provider now seems to be an issue of picking the best of the worst

• by cmurray081981

I was thrilled when we moved and found that AT&T offered television services in our new area. I despise everything about the Time Warner Cable service we used to use. It cost more in different areas, the On Demand and pay per view features never worked, the serviceman arrived an hour late to install my cable box and took half a day to hook it up for me in my CABLE READY apartment and he had to ask me if I knew where the hook up was, and anytime I needed to call service I would be placed on hold for at least 45 minutes. I figured anything would be better than that kind of service.

The woman who came to install our AT&T service was on time but took a while to finish since she did need to install some extra cables. When she was done we had working TV service and high speed internet, and they had provided a router at no extra cost. The service worked great for a while. They had the same On Demand services, we were able to get more channels and everything functioned properly. The only drawback was that AT&T cost a lot more than Time Warner, however as long as the service worked properly I found it was worth the extra expense.

As time went on we started to notice that

more and more channels disappeared from our package. We had picked the highest level of service which included all premium channels and assumed we would be able to get all channels except for the foreign language ones. While we stopped getting so many channels, the price never came down. Finally we decided to take stock of what channels we did and did not watch and downgraded our service for a bit of a price break. We weren’t able to save a lot but in these times, a little is better than nothing. Now we find that even with a few premium channels, we still don’t watch them since we also have Netflix and many programs stored in DVR. I don’t care for the packages of channels they provide. It doesn’t make sense that you have to pick from a select few options and you can’t get a selection that offers all regular TV channels but no premium channels. Also, we never noticed until a friend came over to watch a football game but our box was not set to broadcast in 1080p automatically. He commented on how bad our picture looked and went into our settings to make the change, and we did end up with a much better picture. Why the woman who set up the service did not do this for us I have no idea.

Then

we started to notice disruption in service. We use our DVR as often as possible. Why ever watch anything live if you can watch it a few hours later and fast forward through all commercials? However, we started to notice that the system would get stuck and the message that the program playback was delayed often flashed up on the screen. Sometimes it would kick in after a minute or two, but most of the time we had to turn off the TV to reset the DVR and then it would usually play. The same thing happens when we try to erase programs. In the past the program would be erased within seconds, now it takes about a minute or longer. Sometimes I’m not quite sure if I hit the button hard enough or the remote signal got blocked since it’s taking so long, so I try to erase it again, only to get a message that the DVR is already working which seems to delay it even longer. Also, we always had some issues with the signal. Most of the time when we turn on the TV we get a message saying the box is searching for a signal and usually within a few seconds the signal is found. More and more often we get the message that there was no signal found, and we then have to ...

• AT&T U-Verse Digital Television Service
      switch off the TV or change the AV settings of the TV for the signal to be found. Finally, we have also noticed an increase in the cable service going out. I can be watching TV and all of a sudden the screen goes blank and switches to the black and white fuzz. Whenever this happens, you have to completely turn off the box and wait 10 seconds for it to reload. This usually takes 5-10 minutes, and if something was recording at the time the service goes out it will stop and not start again until the box reloads.

My fiance tried to call and get them to help fix the problems by getting a new box. I know they now have those new wireless boxes and we thought that the issues might be due at least in part to the age of our box. However, they outright refused to let us do so. They said they had to run diagnostics on the box to determine if there were issues before they would even consider replacing it. And for some reason, though no one from AT&T would ever need to come to the house, they needed one of us to be at home while they performed the diagnostics. We both work full time and neither of us was very enthusiastic about wasting a half day of vacation to

wait for a diagnostic check to be performed. Even then, if something were wrong with the box, we would have to trade it in and we’d lose all programs saved to our DVR.

I’m quite unhappy with the steady decline in service from AT&T. I can’t figure out why cable television service functions so poorly from company to company when most other products and services work 100 times better. However, we’ve lived with the issues for the last few months since fixing the problem appears to be an additional inconvenience to use. While I’m disappointed, AT&T is still much better than Time Warner Cable ever was, and now that I’ve heard they are dropping local channels because they refuse to pay their fees I would be even less inclined to switch. I admit I did consider simply canceling our service and switching back to ensure we’d get a newer box, but with the other competitor’s issues with dropped channels and the need for DirectTV to issue a contract, we’ve simply lived with the problems. I will say that when AT&T was brand new, there was no comparison to any other television service out there. I just wish they had managed to better solve our issues and keep us happy as customers. Unfortunately, choosing your television provider now seems to be an issue of picking the best of the worst.

Steve E Minjares says :

re : Unfortunately, choosing your television provider now seems to be an issue of picking the best of the worst
So, when you have an elderly person living in a rental where satellite dishes are not allowed, AT T TV streaming is an alternative. And from what the AT T customer service agent informed me over the phone is that AT T internet is needed for streaming. So, I decided to order the AT T stream TV, internet and ground phone line package.

While ordering their package I found their greatest weakness involved not being senior friendly, not pandemic conscious and certainly not helpful toward the non-tech educated customer. Calling the 1-800 number to even order any product or service is a chore in, itself. The operator will gladly help get the processes going but not without various text links and confirmation. And again, if you are a senior with a flip-phone, who never used a smart phone, surf the web on their phone or even know how to use text. You can only imagine how this conversation would sound like when they are trying to complete the order.
But luckily, I was patient and had my smart phone with me. And after 45 minutes of talking to the customer service agent, numerous text links confirmations, web link clinking and my blood pressure going up 50 points. I finally got my order processed. Yay Didn t die of an aneurysm.

So, at this point my appointment was all set up for the technician to arrive onsite. Two days later I was informed of a reschedule and again, the following day until finally the third time it was scheduled for next month. When the technician finally came to the site. And I wish I were over exaggerating he broke my mother s picture frame and closet doors all because the modem needed to be in her closet. Do not ask why it needs to be in the closet I am still trying to figure that one out myself. This whole situation played out like a bad scene from the Griswold in National lampoon. Then the technician left without letting us know he was leaving. I reported the incident, but nothing was done. My mother and I had to pay for the repairs. Strike two, still no aneurysm.

Finally, the time came to pay the monthly bill now the good news is there was no over charge or additional fees. But now this presented some unique challenges due to the pandemic and going to a pay station can prove dangerous to an elderly person. And since my mother is paranoid about auto pay, common trend among some seniors. I decided to make a payment over the phone.

I called to make a payment and again the operator provided a text link where you can go online and make a payment. So, you got to love those text links, really you do. Anyone one who owns a flip phone will understand where I am coming from and the struggle is real.
Well to make a long story short the operator was not able to process the payment over the phone because she was working from home and not allowed to accept debt or credit card number. Strike three and at that moment I can hear my inner Sam Kinison yelling profanities in my subconscious. So being a civilized gentleman as I am, I politely hung up with the operator and vented behind closed doors.

My grade for this company 2.5 out of 5 stars

Decent service and good products, ideal for family and residential with under 5 wifi capable devices. Any more than that you will experience a lot of network disconnect. I strongly discourage it for commercial use because their network has been proven unreliable based on my personal experience as a field service engineer. If you have a network outage and need help to get up again it will prove challenging due to the inefficient support, they provide.

Customer Service 2 out of 5 stars
I am surprised they are still even in business due to their quality of customer service. Not senior or pandemic friendly at all and they make paying your bill a challenge

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2524071585800731/k2311a0724/7.24.12