Amazon Kindle Touch Ereader with Wi-fi  » Electronics  »
  • And enhanced by the nondescript design of the kindle touch, it's easy to get immersed in what you're reading
  • I wish I could make more productive use of the touchscreen keyboard like an extra notepad for writing drafts, taking advantage of the long battery life
  • I loved the Amazon Kindle touch, the device, not so much the overpriced ecosystem

• by jhunie

The iPad has established itself to me as the home of ebook-reading. It’s where I retreated from the frustrations of using e-ink readers, a technology still in its infancy back then. But then bright LCD screens are very punishing to the eyes. Things changed, and the ebook industry seems to be enjoying a renaissance at the moment. Ereaders wowed me now that they’re smaller and so much cheaper. I was at the market again for an ereader. What caused me to backtrack to ereaders was the reasonably priced Kindle Touch (100 $).

My eyes acclimatized to the pristine e-ink display right off the bat. The white space containing the text had a very pleasant feel to the eyes and seemed to bring the text upfront due to the high contrast. The text on the screen reads like paperback. And enhanced by the nondescript design of the kindle touch, it’s easy to get immersed in what you’re reading. I was able to focus better without distractions (like ipad’s animated page turns), and the words

were assimilated in my head so I won’t go back again to clarify my understanding. It’s superbly readable, better than the ones in the past, and I’m positive this device could improve anybody’s literacy, even for readers of challenging literary fiction.

Tapping the screen of the ereader managed to evoke the slick intuitiveness of a tablet, at times requiring me to press more forcefully than in a capacitive screen. This was important for me as a tablet-user. Not that the bland interface entailed plenty of touching. I was dissappointed by the oversimplified kindle interface, where my vibrant book shelf in the ipad was reduced to lists. Where are the book covers amazon? They could at least ingratiate me by displaying book covers to individualize them from each other, not just every time I open a book. Amazon found a way to minimize the screen refresh or the infamous dark flash that intervened every page turns of old e-inks, which I liked. That ‘blacking-out’ now occurs per 6 page turns. Buying a kindle meant I ...

• had to say goodbye to epubs, but I got over that quickly because of Amazon’s cloud-based ecosystem, most notable of their services was the Send to Kindle application. It’s as easy as dropbox or evernote to send documents, including personal ebooks, to my device via wifi. An email service is available too which I used a lot when reading my ebooks in the kindle for ipad app.

The Amazon Ecosystem was the way to go for me, because it’s the only ecosystem apart from Kobo that’s available internationally. Whispersync worked like a charm despite my location, which pointed to the stability of Amazon’s servers. Compare that to shopping books in B&N and iBookstore, for which I have to use VPN or a US address, and that’s a boatload of convenience. If you live outside the US though, a big drawback is the 2+ dollars surcharge for international transfers. Yes, it’s incredibly fast, but I’m paying more money for books I could alternatively buy at Kobo (with the help of Calibre) for less. Amazon netted a substantial

amount of money in the end from my purchases. So keep in mind that international ebook purchases are expensive at Amazon.

Special offers sounds sweet to the ears, but actually it’s irretrievably, unashamedly and hand-wringingly Amazon’s method of advertising. I was so unaware of this being a newbie to the ecosystem, and it’s a bit unfair knowing that the ipad app doesn’t display ads. The inner Socialist in me wants to thrash Amazon. In this Post-Capitalist age, any company mongering ads in a purchased device should be ashamed! …but politicking aside, I’m just overreacting. The stock dictionary (Oxford) doesn’t quite hit the essential meaning of words in relation to common usages; the iBooks dictionary resonates far better. I wish I could make more productive use of the touchscreen keyboard like an extra notepad for writing drafts, taking advantage of the long battery life.

I loved the Amazon Kindle touch, the device, not so much the overpriced ecosystem. Buy the ereader if you’re “privileged” to get books without surcharges in your country, from the content hound that is Amazon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1623071585730631/k2311a0723/7.23.12