NordicWare Compact Ovenware Muffin Pan  » Housewares  »
  • The problem is that with four children space is obviously of the essence while you're camping, we have a small camping oven to ensure I can prepare a meal for the children while we're away
  • I'm really glad I bought this pan, I own so many muffin pans that it seemed a frivolous purchase at the time and I questioned how many opportunities I'd have for baking while camping - I needn't have worried though, I've used it on every single trip since and since coming up with making the mixture at home ready for baking on the campsite there's no stopping me

• by roundabout

We like to camp in the summer months and my partner has recently converted a van into a camper van so we can have a little more comfort than we would in a tent. The problem is that with four children space is obviously of the essence while you’re camping, we have a small camping oven to ensure I can prepare a meal for the children while we’re away.  I bought this half size muffin pan after realising I could make the muffin mixture at home and transport it in the fridge to wherever we’re camping and bake the kids fresh muffins while out and about.

The pan is made of cast aluminum so is lightweight to both transport and use.  The pan will make six muffins (rather than

the usual twelve) of standard size, the interior is supposedly non-stick but I don’t find this terribly effective so always use my paper muffin cases to prevent any sticking and spoiling of the finished muffins.  I’m surprised at how poor the non-stick aspect is to be honest as NordicWare are usually brilliant when it comes to this!  Oh well, I suppose no one can get it right every time!

This Compact Ovenware range was developed especially for the type of small oven you’ll be using in a camper van; it’s suitable to be used with gas, electric or even over a camping stove but I’m not sure how that would work!  Our camping oven is a standard size and this 10″ x 7″ pan fits in there perfectly, whereas ...

• there would be absolutely no chance of my standard size muffin pan going in.

It washes up very easily, obviously when you’re camping you can’t always wash up as well as you can at home as the water is never hot enough and for some reason campsite water never lets the detergent bubble as well as it does in my sink at home!  I tend to soak the muffin pan as well as I can and give it a quick scrub with a scouring pad; this tends to be all you need to do to remove any clumps of baked on muffin mixture, but I do take it into the house when we get home and give it a proper wash in proper hot soapy water!  This isn’t

the fault of the pan however, more an issue with bad waterworks on English campsites!

I’m really glad I bought this pan, I own so many muffin pans that it seemed a frivolous purchase at the time and I questioned how many opportunities I’d have for baking while camping - I needn’t have worried though, I’ve used it on every single trip since and since coming up with making the mixture at home ready for baking on the campsite there’s no stopping me!  Of course the pan can also be used to bake cupcakes, I haven’t tried this as I suspect lighter cake mixture wouldn’t travel as well as the bags of muffin mix but I don’t see why the cupcakes wouldn’t turn out as well as my muffins!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5320071585510631/k2311a0720/7.20.12