Reachout Wireless (free cell phone)
  • This free cell phone and minutes government program was being serviced by a cell phone company named Reachout Wireless (at least this is what I know in California)
  • As soon as I paid, the minutes are automatically loaded into my phone which is nice

• by tiger8669

I recently enrolled in this government program that provides free refurbished CDMA cell phone and free monthly minutes. I saw it in a flyer and I applied because our household qualifies due to being in a low-income category. The application was quick. It took about two weeks to get approved and with that I got my free flip phone in the mail. This free cell phone and minutes government program was being serviced by a cell phone company named Reachout Wireless (at least this is what I know in California).

I didn’t have problems so far with signal and there is always free minutes on my phone. I chose the 250 minute plan so I got 250 free call or

text minutes every month which is automatically loaded into my phone on the 5th of the month. The program specifies that in order to remain active and my service not disconnected, I need to buy at least $3.00 worth of pre-paid minutes at their website, or else my service will be discontinued and I have to reapply again. This is the part I don’t get because it says it’s supposed to be free cell phone and I automatically receive free minutes every month. Why do I have to buy more minutes just to stay in the program? But since it’s not too much and I want to be able to use my cell phone any time, I obliged to ...

• buy extra minutes monthly using my PayPal account. As soon as I paid, the minutes are automatically loaded into my phone which is nice. I didn’t like the part though about having to be reminded every time I make a call how many minutes are left on my phone which took about a half a minute to listen to. It’s annoying especially if I am trying to reach someone very quickly upon dialing. I wonder how it’s going to be if I have an emergency and I need to dial 911 right away, I have to wait for the woman’s voice to tell me how many minutes I got. Ridiculous, right? I hope they’ll improve this feature because it’s
        a waste of time. I don’t want to be reminded every time I make a phone call my minutes balance. It gets so frustrating after a while!

Reachout Wireless’ online customer service sucks. It takes long to get an answer and usually they’re confusing. Anyway, overall I’m still thankful I got this government assisted cell phone program because it helps me a lot. I don’t have to pay a lot of money to maintain a monthly cellphone bill. It works for me right now. The minutes that I don’t use up this month roll over into the next month which is also a good thing. It means I always have plenty of minutes on my phone which I could use any time.

kevin says :

re : As soon as I paid, the minutes are automatically loaded into my phone which is nice
    reachout upgrade new system i lost my unlimited service and monthly 4 hours now unable to call out and receive phone call.

Israel Munoz says :

re : This free cell phone and minutes government program was being serviced by a cell phone company named Reachout Wireless (at least this is what I know in California)
    The service was okay . I think i would rate them a 6 out of ten. The phones it self were kinda on the refurbished side. If you paid for a better phone you still wouldn’t get nothing like what you would get when you walk into a store . Then you have the option for the free one time a month or you can pay for the unlimited plan, but was it unlimited when i reached a certain data on my phone it would really slow down and lose service through out town . The biggest problem they had and what i thought was there customer service. They would take forever to answer a phone call,a couple months they didn’t recharge my account so then i would have to call them and to top it off it would cost me every time i call them they would deduct my minutes. Overall its a good service for a low income family’s that could use the help with certain things . Well who wouldn’t want a free phone service . You were only allowed 500 minutes a month, after that it was up to you to purchase more time for your phone. So Reach out wireless would get a 6 on my judgement of the free phone service

Robert Pifer says :

I believe that this is a very ethically sound thing for the government to do. For those that receive low income but still need a method of communication, this is very beneficial. I feel that it is the government’s responsibility to provide opportunities such as this for those who truly are in need because of how much money that government takes back from all of the employed. Although, I do find it very unjust and immoral for the government to advertise the service as being free and implicating such manipulation as charging the enrolled applicants to begin paying for the service when it was originally stated that you would not be charged for it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2218071584920531/k2311a0718/7.18.12