Great House by Nicole Krauss (Novel)  » Books  »
  • I have always been a fan of Nicole Krauss, and if possible I think this novel is an even greater achievement than her previous books
  • However, it soon become clear that these characters actually have a lot in common, sharing similar histories of loss, isolation and regret
  • The many different settings of this novel are, in my opinion, also beautifully described
  • I know of few other authors who are able to use such symbols with similar subtlety and precision
  • I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for an intelligent and moving read

• by Cassia

I finished reading “Great House” just yesterday, having found the novel so compelling and beautifully written that I read it within three days. I have always been a fan of Nicole Krauss, and if possible I think this novel is an even greater achievement than her previous books.

In this book, the author skilfully weaves together the stories of several characters who at first seem only vaguely linked by chance encounters with one another. However, it soon become clear that these characters actually have a lot in common, sharing similar histories of loss, isolation and regret. Each character is perfectly crafted

and deeply sympathetic. The novel is written in the first person, from the points of view of several different narrators, and the author endows each character with a unique and memorable voice. In particular, I feel that, as a woman, Krauss has an incredible talent for writing from the perspectives of characters of the opposite gender. The men in this novel are as fully rounded and believable as the female characters. As an aspiring writer, I personally find this skill extremely difficult to master at times, and because of this I find her ability to write from different points of view quite admirable.

The many different settings of this novel are, in my opinion, also beautifully described. The book is set primarily in the homes of its various characters, and the author’s description of these places gives the reader wonderful insights into the minds of these characters. Sections of the novel also take place in disparate settings that range over a wide geographical area, and aspects of many different cultures play important parts in the story. This makes the novel particularly fascinating.

I also feel that Krauss has an incredible talent for symbolism and metaphor. The entire novel is crafted around one ...

• Great House by Nicole Krauss (Novel)
      intricate metaphor involving an ancient wooden desk, and this single image adds many new levels of meaning to the novel as a whole. I know of few other authors who are able to use such symbols with similar subtlety and precision.

This book is much darker and more complex than Krauss’ previous work, and this means that “Great House” can be quite a challenging read. The novel’s intertwining storylines and wide variety of characters can occasionally make the plot of this novel quite difficult to follow. However, as long as you remain alert and focused while reading, you should find it

relatively easy to understand what’s happening throughout the story. Even if you do lose track of one or two threads of this novel’s complex plot, the author’s beautiful writing style ensures that finishing the book is still worthwhile. Every sentence, even when looked at independently of the rest of the story, is beautifully written.

“Great House” is one of the best novels I have read this year. I personally greatly enjoyed reading this unique and memorable book and have recommended it to many of my friends. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for an intelligent and moving read.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1717071584720131/k2311a0717/7.17.12