Taylor Weight Scale Model 5729
2.0
  • It actually read my weight a few pounds lighter than my old scale when I thought that the new scale would give me a reading that was higher
  • I’ve noticed a few issues with this scale
  • Overall, I’m a bit disappointed with the quality of this scale
  • I may consider going with a scale that’s completely attached and uses normal batteries then

• by cmurray081981

I purchased this scale since I previously had an old and cheap digital scale and wanted a newer, more accurate model. It also has some nice features that include body fat percentage based on age. It was also fairly inexpensive compared to the Weight Watchers sponsored scales that ranged from $35-40 which I felt was just for use of the name and didn’t actually include any features worth the price.

The scale certainly has a more updated look to it than my old one. It’s got a glass top and a large, easy to read digital screen. I had to do some setup with it before using it such as entering my age and height. It’s very easy to use. You simply push the “Set” button and wait for the scale to run through the data on your age, height and body fat percentage. Once the scale reads zero you can step on it and it reads your weight quickly. It actually read my weight a few pounds lighter than my old scale when I thought that the new scale would give me a

reading that was higher. For some reason, I just felt like my old scale was off in my favor. I have switched back and forth and sometimes use both for accuracy in the last few months. Recently my old scale has completely stopped working, so this scale by Taylor is the only one I can use.

I’ve noticed a few issues with this scale. First, the construction of it is a bit shoddy. The scale has a glass top and two small plastic bases. You can see the exposed wires when you turn the scale over. I’m not sure how good of quality that is, or how safe. Also, the scale is not attached to the black plastic bases. There are simply two flimsy metal hooks on the face of the scale holding it together and the black base often detaches from the scale with only the wires holding them together. This is not ideal for those who want to store the scale vertically, as I do. I have a small space between my sink base and the wall that I can prop the scale ...

• on but before I was trying to balance it in a cabinet and it would often fall over and come apart. I am not at all a fan of the construction of this scale. If you don’t hold it together when you pick it up it immediately falls apart.

Secondly, instead of using normal batteries like AA, AAA or even a 6 volt, which my old scale used, this scale uses two 3 volt round batteries that look like large watch batteries. There is a battery indicator on the scale and I recently noticed that it was on its last bar. I thought I might try to get some replacement batteries for the scale before it ran out of power so I wouldn’t have any interference with my regular weekly weigh in. The batteries are easy to find and change, but I had no idea there were different sizes of the 3 volt round batteries. I went to Walgreens and found several sizes so I had to then go back and check the specific battery type in the scale directly. It’s a good thing I

did, because I actually noticed that the scale took TWO batteries, one on top of the other, which was not at all apparent unless you actually took one out and saw the other underneath. I don’t believe these batteries are very cheap either. To replace them I will probably have to spend $15, half the price of the scale itself.

Lastly, the body fat indicator never worked on this scale. That was not a measurement I really needed since I only am measuring weight on Weight Watchers, but it seems odd that the scale could not even perform one of its basic functions.

Overall, I’m a bit disappointed with the quality of this scale. I wish I would have opened up the package first or returned it right away since I really hate that the scale and base are not attached. It does a good enough job providing me with my weekly weight ratings though so I probably will not bother to spend even more money to replace it until the battery dies. I may consider going with a scale that’s completely attached and uses normal batteries then.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3415071584590431/k2311a0715/7.15.12