The Avengers (2012) movie  » Movies  »
  • Unlike quite a few people, I was actually largely impressed by The Incredible Hulk back in 2008
  • I thought that Edward Norton made for excellent casting, and the perfect addition to the slowly forming Avengers team (at this time consisting of only Robert Downey Jr
  • Ultimately credit must be awarded to Joss Whedon for doing something which I think we all doubted he would do effectively
  • That said, Black Widow and Hawkeye are given this relationship, which is not explored enough to be interesting, but is given just enough attention to slow the whole film down occasionally
  • Regardless of who your favourite avenger is, you won’t be left dissatisfied

• by Stuart C Nunn

Director: Joss Whedon.

Cast: Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson.

Screenwriter: Joss Whedon.

Running Time: 143 minutes.

Year: 2012.

Country: United States.

Unlike quite a few people, I was actually largely impressed by The Incredible Hulk back in 2008. I thought that Edward Norton made for excellent casting, and the perfect addition to the slowly forming Avengers team (at this time consisting of only Robert Downey Jr. and Samuel L. Jackson). Imagine my disappointment then, when I heard that Norton would no longer appear in The Avengers, due to a lack of co-operation. After the release of this news, I lost interest in the Avengers initiative. I didn’t see Captain America, Thor, or Iron Man Two in the cinema. However I did watch them all in the run-up to The Avengers, and my faith was re-instilled by two noble film achievements in the form of Captain America and Thor (I’m afraid I can’t say the same for Iron Man Two). So, excitement back in tact and fears about Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner set aside, I watched The Avengers; and I was not disappointed.

The reason for the success of The Avengers is simple;

it is everything you want this movie to be. It functions perfectly as an origin story for the team, and keeps us in perfect suspense until they come together for the first time. Whedon has managed to make the action smart and dynamic, without detracting from the moments of the plot which don’t require explosions. Ultimately credit must be awarded to Joss Whedon for doing something which I think we all doubted he would do effectively; giving equal attention to each member of his heavily weighted cast. Black Widow is given a well-rounded re-introduction following Iron Man Two (in which her character seemed rather two dimensional) and manages to keep the scenes involving more political plot points (S.H.I.E.L.D moments in particular) interesting. Hawkeye is also used to great effect, driving the plot in the first half of the movie. That said, Black Widow and Hawkeye are given this relationship, which is not explored enough to be interesting, but is given just enough attention to slow the whole film down occasionally. Ultimately all it does is separate the pair from the star-powered four (that’s Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor) even further than they already were in our minds, and makes them seem perhaps a little weaker than they are. Credit should be handed to Jeremy Renner though, who manages to do a fair deal with a role that lacks substance. Iron Man is explored perfectly sufficiently, and I’m glad that he wasn’t the driving force of the movie (as Downey Jr. had expressed his desire to be). Hulk was given a perfect combination of origin story and continuation from his appearance on screen four years ago, and of course, Thor, with the main antagonist being his troubled brother, Loki, is given the right amount of attention.

My only complaint in this respect, is perhaps the lack of devotion in the script to Captain America. He was always the confident leader of The Avengers in the comic book canon, and it is a shame to see that this is nowhere near explored enough in the film. It’s a great shame that this is the case, because Chris Evans really mastered the role in The First Avenger, and we don’t get an awful lot of him in this movie. Part of me hopes that this is because, being resurrected from suspended animation for roughly 65 years, he is still slightly spooked by the fact that everyone he knew ...

• The Avengers (2012) movie
      is dead. If Captain America gets to come into his element in eventual sequels to both films, then I may just forgive Whedon for this. Still, Chris Evans does a perfect job again, and it’s good to see that his relationship with Stark is as well explored as it is in the source material.

The cast though, do a fantastic job, and work together in what seems to be the perfect gel. Ruffalo takes on Bruce Banner with no fear, and does it perfectly. Scenes with the transformed Hulk are also outstanding; an absolute spectacle to watch. I’m sure people don’t need to be informed of Downey Jr’s Tony Stark by now, but needless to say he reprises it with much expected excellence. People who haven’t seen Thor will be surprised to see newcomer Tom Hiddleston play a role with such confidence and bravado, and I look forward to seeing his career progress. Hemsworth brings back his remarkable presence as Thor, and one feels the connection between him and the also alienated Captain America despite its only subtle exploration. It must be said that unfortunately, Samuel L. Jackson does not deliver as Nick Fury. He lacks the authority necessary for the role, perhaps

because his sharp tongue and intelligence are apparently omitted from the script.

There are some serious plot issues in The Avengers. The Hulk’s fury seems to switch between contained and manageable to mindless and unmotivated on a polarised scale. If you haven’t seen Captain America, then you will be left slightly in the dark as to why there is a such an obsession with the mysterious ‘tesseract,’ and you really need to have seen Loki’s backstory to fully appreciate Tom Hiddleston’s performance. However, all of these issues are instantly forgivable, because The Avengers provides us with an absolute joyride of a movie. It’s hard to criticise something which is so thoroughly entertaining, and manages to live up to all of our expectations while maintaining a surprising story, even if there are a few technicalities here and there. All we have to do now, is hope for an equally satisfying second outing, and pray that Samuel L. Jackson doesn’t go and make a S.H.I.E.L.D movie.

Verdict

Smashing its way through the box office, The Avengers will keep audiences enthralled from start to finish. Regardless of who your favourite avenger is, you won’t be left dissatisfied. This is the perfect Summer Blockbuster to kick the season off.

Better than: Iron Man (2008).

Worse than: The Dark Knight (2008).

Ashiela N says :

I was one of those people who didn’t like the 2008 Hulk. I thought it was too animated, relying too much on computer animation that it become unreal, in some ways. But I was pleasantly surprised with the Hulk character in Avengers. Always a fan of Mark Rufallo, it thought he acted the Hulk character well. In fact, I would rank him my second favorite character in the movie after Iron Man.

Stuart Nunn replies :

I too was pleasantly surprised Ashiela. I thought Mark Ruffalo did well with the little time he had to make us believe he was Bruce Banner. I suppose I was just sceptical as people will look back on the series as a whole with inconsistencies in the casting. I’m probably being irrational. There’s inconsistency in the Dark Knight series with casting and people barely notice.

riki says :

Thanks for your wonderful and detailed review. I have got the DVD of this movie but haven’t watched it yet. I will watch it tonight after reading your review.

Simranjeet Singh says :

its an wonderful movie …….it has the funny part also ….just take the first word of the heroes you will get a word BITCH D

Corey says :

It’s good as far as comic book movies go, but I think they are trying to put too much into each of these movies. As good of an idea this movie was to make, perhaps they could have put more story into the individual movies before making this one.

riki says :

Individual stories were not the part of Avenger’s franchise. They were made by different different franchises. So Avenger’s franchise hasn’t got any control over that.

Stuart Nunn replies :

That’s an interesting thought. I personally thought it was so fast paced that it lacked the integrity The Dark Knight Rises had (a new model for superhero movies to aim for). But it was still fun at least.

riki says :

I have watched this movie now and it is too a great movie similar and comparable to The Dark Knight Rises if not less. I would too give 9 out 10 rating to The Avengers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1112071584340731/k2311a0712/7.12.12