Eastern Lightning Church
  • Should I believe what I had been learning for the past two months, which seemed to offer a breakthrough in the impasse I had been facing in my search for the truth

• by rovingeye

While searching for church to attend in the southern Chinese city of Zhongshan where I have recently settled, I met a very personable Christian woman who quickly won me over with her warmth and friendliness. Before long, she was visiting me at home and we chatted for hours about our faith. Soon, she had invited two of her equally pleasant friends to come along to share bible knowledge with me, a seeker with many unanswered questions. The long, intensive sessions of study were fascinating and engrossing, as they revealed many ideas I had never before heard of in any other church, and they all seemed to make sense.

By the second month and about six sessions later, I Googled the key words and names brought up in our discussions, and found that the “Eastern Lightning Church (EL)” was widely vilified by Christian writers everywhere. Claiming millions of followers, mostly in China, it had also come to be regarded by the authorities as the second most dangerous religious cult in the country, after the Falun Gong, which probably explains why its founder had fled to the USA in the early nineties, where he was granted refugee status on the grounds of religious persecution.

I was now in a dilemma. Should I believe what

I had been learning for the past two months, which seemed to offer a breakthrough in the impasse I had been facing in my search for “the truth”? Or should I believe the scary stories told about the EL on the websites of many churches and Christian writers?

Briefly, the criticisms and warnings against the EL centered around the following points, all of which my new-found friends could refute:

1. The EL is unbiblical because it claims that Christ has already returned, when the entire church movement is still waiting for his promised return, the date and hour of which - according to the Bible - is known only to God. My EL friends cited Bible verses stating that Christ would come as a thief in the night, unannounced and unexpected, and that has actually happened while the church was asleep!

2. Established Christianity has long been dominated by men, particularly Western men, so it is unacceptable that the EL claims that Christ has returned in the bodily form of a woman, and in China, a Communist country intolerant of any major religion except those sanctioned by the authorities. My EL friends pointed to verses in Revelation mentioning the rise of lightning in the east where the great red dragon lived. The ...

• Chinese people are known as the sons of the dragon, and Communism is red. EL claims that Christ has chosen to return in China to show his supreme power over the strongest opposition and most serious decay in the human condition. As for taking the form of a woman, there is nothing in the Bible that says this could not be so, as the work of this returned Christ would be to open new scrolls to prepare believers for the final entry into God’s kingdom. Such a spiritual woman had indeed presented herself to a small group of followers in 1991 in northern China, and they have been working on compiling all her teachings and hymns that are now distributed all over the country – albeit clandestinely. As Jehovah’s work had been to lay down the law through Moses, and Jesus’s work had been to offer salvation to believers by dying on the cross, so this new Christ - whom the EL calls “Almighty God” - is doing the work of sorting the sheep from the goats, the true believers from the others.

3. The EL recruits members from established churches, luring them away with promises of monetary assistance, or kidnapping them for brainwashing if they resisted. Deceit, lies and violence

are apparently all within its arsenal, hence making it a cult. In answer to these accusations, my EL friends produced members who have willingly joined and stayed in the movement for years, claiming all they have experienced have been brotherly and sisterly support and love, without any monetary incentive. The accusations are all falsehoods perpetrated by church leaders who feel threatened by the departure of their members to join the EL, who have not grasped the truth of the Bible’s prophesy about the Second Coming of Christ. After all, when Jesus first declared himself the Messiah, he was rejected by the established religious leaders and other Jewish faithfuls of the day, who also spread false rumours about him.

There are many other points of difference, but the above are enough to warn all seekers and believers to study the Bible well, to pray intently to God for wisdom and guidance, so that they may be able to know the Truth. With the Christian movement so fragmented now, and with so many sects and cults claiming to have seen the returned Christ, who except God can say if the EL’s Almighty God is really his new manifestation. Who, then, are false prophets and who are not? May God help us decide!

nivetha says :

re : Should I believe what I had been learning for the past two months, which seemed to offer a breakthrough in the impasse I had been facing in my search for the truth
    Really jesus great,i m hindu but i m praying jesus from 2013.

April Orfiano says :

Just pray ceaselessly to help you believe and accept the Lord. Surrender yourself to the Lord not because somebody taught you so. But because that’s what the Lord tells you.

Gunnar Campbell says :

The only thing you should believe are the things taught based on Scripture and the Bible.

Gunnar Campbell says :

Only that which is taught in the Bible should be believed.

Good says :

Christ would come as a thief in the night, unannounced and unexpected means we will not know the exact time of his return. But this doesn t mean everyone will not know once he comes. In line with this it is provided in the bible Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Revelation 1:7.
    Therefore, if Jesus has already returned you will have known because you saw him and not because somebody told you he did. Don t trust the information they gave you just because it seemed to help you by offering a breakthrough in the impasse you had been facing in your search for the truth ? The reason for this is God doesn’t have the intention to answer each detail of your questions but only what is important for you to know. The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law Deuteronomy 29:29 What is unknown is for his glory

Adetuwo says :

Hi, The question is what had you been learning? is it rooted in the word of God?(bible) if yes, believe because bible say if you believe you we see the glory of God. thanks

arvind says :

oh yes God is not any kind of outside matter, It’s always your inside. haha it’s very hard to find out But if you go in the shelter of ” SADGURU” ( teacher) you answer all your self.
    Arvind k. Chasta

Alex Smith says :

One of the greatest promises in the Bible is found in Psalms 1:2-3. This passage teaches that if we meditate on God s Word day and night we will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water . That is the secret to a good Christian life. This simple mean that as we think about what is written in the bible the Holy Spirit will make it clear to us, but if we were to take what is written at face value then we are doom to anger and resentments. Here is an example Jesus talking to Nicodemus If I have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you about heavenly things? What did Jesus told Nicodemus? He told him that he must be born again, if he wanted to enter into the kingdom of heaven. Nicodemus was thinking of earthly birth because that was what he knew about, while Jesus is thinking of a spiritual birth. Now this is the question on which we need to meditate. What is the difference between the fleshly birth and the spiritual birth?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5112071584290731/k2311a0712/7.12.12