Yankee Candle Tarts Vs. Jars
  • As someone who loves candles and has at least 10 candles in each room, I am always looking for the best, longest lasting scents as well as a way to get that scent without taking up too much time, space or money
  • I think of candles as one of my few luxury items
  • I am very choosy and do not like anything spicy but their best sellers are the Home Sweet Home candles which are, in my opinion, a spicy type of scent
  • Believe me, if you end up liking the experience from burning tarts as much as most people do you will want to have a couple bags of tea lites and a couple dozen of your favorite tarts on hand so you never run out
  • I love the jars from YC but tarts, to me, are easier

• by Stacy R.

As someone who loves candles and has at least 10 candles in each room, I am always looking for the best, longest lasting scents as well as a way to get that scent without taking up too much time, space or money. I have worked at Yankee Candle and fell in love with a scent called “Berry Bramble”. It has long been “retired” (Which is their way of saying that they don’t make it any longer except for certain times when they might bring it back for a short stint). There are many fragrances that have been retired. Some make a comeback and some don’t. It all depends on popularity and what kind of revenue each candle fragrance brings in which saddens me because I’ve heard the story of how Yankee Candle was first created and it wasn’t with money in mind. But I will leave that complaint for another time. I think of candles as one of my few luxury items. As of late though, I have not bought myself anything fun.

Still, there is nothing like lighting a candle and smelling that yummy and warm fragrance emanating into the air. It may sound funny if you are not a person who is affected by smells, but most of us are and we can be transported to other times and places with the mere scent of something. For me its berries. It reminds me of my long walks in the field behind my childhood home where I would lazily pick strawberries and blackberries then sit in the shade smelling and eating them. The big jars, called “Housewarmers”, are pretty expensive. Believe it or not, I was told that the price of candles can be driven up or brought down depending on oil prices because of what candles are made of. Instead of getting in over my head trying to explain that I will stick with what I do know…Yankee candle has 3 sizes of Housewarmers- a 3. 7 oz, which is referred to as a small jar candle, burns for 25-40 hours and costs $10.

99, a 14. 5 oz called a medium jar which burns 65-90 hours and costs $24. 99 and the large jar which is 22 ounces. It burns for 110-150 hours and costs $27. 99. I am noticing as I look around their site that the prices have gone up again. I usually wait until they have a

coupon or a buy one get one free sale. Jars, I think, give off the best fragrance of all their candles types but its important that you burn them for at least 4 hours each time in order to have an even burn on the wax so you won’t have tunneling which is when the candle only burns down the center of the candle at the wick.

If you burn the candle on a flat surface away from any air drafts or fans and anything else that will keep it from burning evenly and you keep the wick trimmed to a quarter inch AND you burn it for the 4 or so hours you will be okay and you will enjoy the smell of whatever candle you’ve chosen…or maybe you won’t…I am very choosy and do not like anything spicy but their best sellers are the “Home Sweet Home” candles which are, in my opinion, a spicy type of scent. So what do I know? I like the berries and the sweeter kinds. Of course they have hundreds of scents, dozens of different sizes and shapes and one in particular is my favorite…its called a tart. No, you don’t eat it and believe it or not, because it smells yummy, don’t leave it around kids because they might be tempted to try it out. I think the company once even had a warning on the tarts warning people not to eat them! What is a tart? A tart, unlike the jar candles which are poured, is made up of tiny beads of scented wax. The beads are pressed together into a round shape of wax a little bigger than an Oreo cookie. There is no wick at all. Yankee candle usually puts each fragrance it produces into all different kinds of things like jars, votives, tea lites and tarts so they are easy to find.

One tarts fragrance usually lasts about 8 hours. You do NOT add water or anything other than the tart. The wax does not go away only losses its scent over time. What you do with the tart is this- You buy a tart burner. They are usually anywhere from $10 and up. There are many sizes, shapes, colors and varieties but they all follow the same idea…On top a tart burner will have a kind of shallow ...

• bowl where you place the unwrapped tart to melt. Underneath this bowl(which can be removable or not) is a small, circular place for a tea lite. A tea lite is a small, scented or unscented candle the size of a quarter but deeper, that has a wick in the center.

They last about 4 hours. For the tart burner you should use an unscented tea lite because the scented ones burn hotter. Also, I don’t buy the ones from Yankee candle. They are better made I’m sure but they are more expensive than the ones I buy at Wal-mart, or better, The Christmas Tree Shoppes where they are a couple dollars for a bag of 50. Believe me, if you end up liking the experience from burning tarts as much as most people do you will want to have a couple bags of tea lites and a couple dozen of your favorite tarts on hand so you never run out. Once you put the tart in the top and light the tea lite underneath all you have to do is enjoy. The best thing is that the tarts are cheaper than the jars (one tart is $1. 99 presently).

You can burn one tart that will last the 8 hours of scent or cut them in half and put two halves of two differently scented tarts together to make your own scent. If you are looking to change out the fragrance you can let it cool and pop it out by carefully using a butter knife to get the re-shaped disk out of the bowl and change it for another if you change your mind or you can carefully put it in the freezer to get it to cool and pop out quicker. One of my friends lights her tart burner just long enough to get the scent then blows it out for the fragrance to linger especially if the tart is strong…Or, if you are happy with the tart that you are burning simply continue to put a new tea lite under the tart after it goes out over and over till you use all the scent up. Often I will change one out early only because I am in the mood for something different and I will save the used tart for another time when I am wanting to smell that scent again. I have found that

the darker colored tarts last longer in scent but are a bit harder to get out of the bowl with a butter knife. ust be sure not to put more than the amount of one tart into a tart burner or it could overflow. If that happens wait a bit for it to dry and scrape it up with a butter knife or if its on a carpet try some wax remover. They sell it at Yankee candle along with all their other gadgets.

My best advice though is to put any candle or tart burner on a stove top. Its the safest surface for anything with heat. Make sure there is nothing hanging down over the candle either. Be sure that its out of reach of kids and animals. My kids used to love to put things in the melting wax or they would accidentally bump into it. I learned quickly to put it up out of their reach. I love the jars from YC but tarts, to me, are easier. Instead of worrying about whether you burned the candle long enough for it to melt evenly and so that it doesn’t “tunnel” or wasting your hard earned money on a large jar that you get home only to realize you don’t like as much when its lit, a tart can be changed out, mixed with others and so on.

Also, when you want to buy a large jar but you’re not sure if you will like the scent of it so much when you are home and its burning, instead of wasting your money you can buy the tart to give it a try. Once you’ve burned it and are assured that you like it, it won’t seem so bad to spend the 27 dollars. J Often I will burn one scent in one part of the room and another complimenting scent on the other side but I am always sure to keep an eye on them. The tea lite unlike a jar candle will simply go out after 3-4 hours when it gets to the end of the wax and wick but its still important to be careful. So take a trip to your local Yankee Candle, chose a few tarts in fragrances you like along with a tart burner and some tea lites. Unwrap the tart, drop it into the dish, lite the tea lite and enjoy!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1211071584230931/k2311a0711/7.11.12