Faith No More - Just a Man (Song)  » Music  »
  • When I hear that bass for whatever reason I think of the Super Nintendo game Earthbound
  • Mike Patton is probably one of the best and most versatile vocalists in modern rock music
  • He has female back up singers singing along with him and the contrast makes the song amazing
  • It makes for a compelling and powerful song that I highly recommend you check out

• by BodgieCrunch

“Just a Man” is a song by Faith No More. This appears as the 14th track on Faith No More’s album “King for a Day… Fool for a Lifetime”. I find this song to be truly fantastic, considering that it isn’t even a single.

“Just a Man” has a very funky almost kind of island groove going for it. I especially love the bass in this song. When I hear that bass for whatever reason I think of the Super Nintendo game Earthbound. That’s the tone it has, it has a Earthbound tone to it!. The guitar is very well done, with good use of chorus and a very clean use of dead notes it sounds like. Considering that the main guitarist left Faith No More before the recording of “King of a Day..” They brought in Trey Spruance who played guitar and some keyboards for Mr. Bungle. I think this was a good idea, considering that

him and Mike Patton (the vocalist) have such a good chemistry with each other because they were in Mr. Bungle together! The guitar is mostly clean with an exception to the chorus that makes use of slight distortion. There are some nice reverb arpeggios in the song that give it that “California” or “surf” feel to it. Mike Patton is probably one of the best and most versatile vocalists in modern rock music. The dudes voice is just pure gold, and it’s not exception on “Just a Man”. For the most he sings in a baritone like tone, nothing too extreme but instead sounds very pleasant. The second verse has him singing a bit higher, but also that same baritone sound. The best part of the song is after a brief interlude where Mike is speaking in a monotone voice while the bass is building up the tension and the song goes into the end chorus. The ...

• chorus is in general is awesome and catchy, however the second half of the song where it’s just Mike singing the chorus over and over again is so powerful. He has female back up singers singing along with him and the contrast makes the song amazing.

The lyrics in this song are just brilliant genius. Like all good songs, “Just a Man” has open lyrics that can be open to interpretations. To me I think this song is about a person, a particular mortal man whom has a certain goal and ambition. With every night he shuts his eyes, and pushes aside his dreams because they are unattainable at that time. However the interlude in the song where Patton is talking and the bass is building up tension, he is talking about Icarus and comparing it how man was destined to fly high. Towards the end of the song, I feel this particular person who has been pushing

his dream and ambitions aside finally achieves them with the lyrics

“And every night I shut my eyes But now I’ve got them open wide You’ve fallen into my hands And now you’re burning me And now you’re burning me”

The burning part can be summed up not necessarily as something physically hurting him but that instead he has attained something, some sort of knowledge or power, or whatever his goal was and it is making him feel more alive, sort of like “burning with desire”. That is how I take it anyhow.

“Just a Man” is a overlooked Faith No More masterpiece. In fact, I feel King for a Day… Fool for a Lifetime in general is an overlooked album. The song is just very inspiring, and has such a good melody to it. Patton’s voice is as beautiful as ever and all the instruments just go together so well. It makes for a compelling and powerful song that I highly recommend you check out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1410071583870631/k2311a0710/7.10.12