NordicWare Pumpkin Patch Pan  » Housewares  »
  • A friend gifted me this Pumpkin Patch Pan from my favourite bakeware manufacturer NordicWare just before Halloween last year, I might have known there was a reason behind the gift and ended up using it to bake her four batches of cakes before I even tested it out on my own family

• by roundabout

A friend gifted me this Pumpkin Patch Pan from my favourite bakeware manufacturer NordicWare just before Halloween last year, I might have known there was a reason behind the gift and ended up using it to bake her four batches of cakes before I even tested it out on my own family!

The Pumpkin Patch pan is basically a pan which makes twelve cupcakes, the clever bit is that it’s designed to make your cakes look like mini pumpkins when they’re cooked. It’s made of cast aluminum which makes it lightweight to handle both when empty and after you’ve filled it with cake mixture, the entire edge has been reinforced so there’s no warping or dipping of the pan as you lift it. NordicWare have also created ‘handles’ on either side of the pan for ease of use, please note these handles

get just as hot as the rest of the pan so don’t get picking it up straight from the oven without using an oven glove!

The interior of the pan is non-stick and this has been done expertly. The finished cakes need nothing more than a brief tap on the bottom of the pan to release them, and the majority will slide out as soon as you tip the pan up without requiring any taps at all. I had worried to begin with as the pumpkin design looks fairly intricate so I’d imagined they’d be a little awkward to remove from the pan, this isn’t the case however and I can’t see any reason why you should have any trouble.

The only thing I would say is that as you’re pouring the cake mixture into the pan you should do it carefully to ...

• ensure no air bubbles make their way to the bottom of the pan, which is obviously the top of your cake. Air bubbles will spoil the look of your baked cakes as the mixture won’t be able to get to the pumpkin design properly and you’ll lose important detail if you’re not careful. A way to prevent this is to be careful as you’re filling the pan, and when you’ve finished simply give the whole thing a sharp slam on the worktop as this will force the bubbles upwards and therefore the mixture will go downwards and fill the design correctly.

I find a fairly dense cake mixture is best for making these sweet little pumpkins as this way you’ll get the most from the design, I use a basic Victoria sponge recipe and sometimes add a few drops of orange food

colouring to make them appear as pumpkin-like as possible. I also found carrot cake muffin mixture worked well, with the added advantage of being able to sprinkle the finished cakes with cinnamon to make them look like orange pumpkins!  I don’t frost them as I don’t like to lose the pumpkin shaping, but in the past have used strips of orange and brown fondant icing to accentuate the design - this works nicely although you do need to be careful as you apply the fondant strips to ensure they follow the lines of the pumpkins correctly.

Cleaning the pan after use is very easy, mine has never required soaking as any dribbles of cake mixture or crumbs simply rinses off under the tap. It’s dishwasher safe but I can’t really see the point as it’s so easy to wash up by hand.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 535071583610831/k2311a075/7.5.12