Jo Malone Grapefruit Candle in Glass Jar
  • I'm a big fan of Yankee Candle as I like to scent my home with candles rather than chemical air fresheners
  • This would be a real problem due to the feminine whiteness of the candle so I was pleased to find it remains in close to pristine condition despite hours of burning over a four week period

• by roundabout

I’m a big fan of Yankee Candle as I like to scent my home with candles rather than chemical air fresheners.  I bought this Grapefruit candle after disliking a Yankee Candle version of the scent, at £38 it was much more than I’ve ever paid for a candle before but the design appealed so much that I decided to treat myself.

The candle looks fabulous; presented in an attractive frosted glass with a silvered metal lid, it’s understated and elegant just like the Jo Malone fragrance packaging. The label clearly states the variety (Grapefruit) but aside from this is very plain which just adds to the attractive simplicity of the design.

The wick was very long when I first bought the candle and I had no option but to cut it down. After

this first time however it’s been fine, the wick has burned down smoothly and cleanly with no excess charcoal to drop down into the melting wax. This would be a real problem due to the feminine whiteness of the candle so I was pleased to find it remains in close to pristine condition despite hours of burning over a four week period.

The grapefruit fragrance is very apparent as soon as you take the lid off the jar, it diminishes for a while when you first light the candle but soon bursts out into the air once the initial pool of wax has melted. This doesn’t take long, within twenty minutes of lighting the candle you’ll have reasonably strong and tangy fragrance in your lounge (or wherever you’ve decided to burn this ...

• beautiful candle) and another few short minutes after that the grapefruit is apparent through other rooms in your home.

It’s such an easy fragrance to describe as it’s so purely grapefruit!  The perfume that travels around my home is fresh, fizzy and deliciously citrus - the grapefruit scent is very natural but has been lightened up with a certain level of sweetness that isn’t really apparent in the fruit itself. This makes sense to me as this particular citrus fruit can be so intensely tart that you would not necessarily want your home to have the pure unadulterated aroma - the sweetness makes it more comforting and while you’ll never mistake the fragrance for any kind of candied perfume it gives it a rounder and more pleasing overall scent. I adore the

freshness in the air while I’m burning the Jo Malone candle, it has the wonderful effect of freshening the air and neutralising any smells around my home - particularly useful when I’m cooking with onions or fish as the crisp grapefruit fragrance gets rid of those and other food odours quickly and with no fuss.

This wonderful candle has a burn time of 45 hours, and I think this is going to be pretty much spot on. I’ve been burning mine now for around twenty hours and can see from the level of wax remaining in the jar that I’m roughly halfway through it. I’m of the thinking that 45 hours isn’t very long considering the unusually high price of the candle, but as a frivolous one off purchase I’m more than happy with it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 535071583600831/k2311a075/7.5.12