The Amazing Spider-Man for Xbox 360
  • I think my high expectations ruined some of the game for me, but I will try to be as unbiased as possible
  • Also, it didn't feel quite as satisfying as I thought it would
  • The problem was that a sense of incredible power and weight in combat wasn't there, but it was fun to watch
  • Sam Reigel, who did the voice of Spider-Man, is up there wish Josh Keaton, for the best Spider-Man voice actor ever
  • Would wait for the price to go down, definitely worth a rent

• by Kai Moo Manners

If you’ve read any of my other reviews, you would know that I am a HUGE Spider-Man fan. I have played almost all of the Spider-Man games ever and I find some sort of enjoyment out of each one somehow. When I first heard about this game, I already had such high expectations since it was made by Beenox and I loved their Shattered Dimensions video game. I will admit though, I was a bit skeptical because Beenox has never done a project like this and such great games such as the Ultimate Spider-Man game were so great. I was worried this wouldn’t be any good. I had obsessed over this game, finally hoping it would be THAT Spider-Man game that would rival Batman: Arkham City. Well, it turns out, it was fun and really just okay. I think my high expectations ruined some of the game for me, but I will try to be as unbiased as possible.

Story: It’s a fairly overdone story. Spider-Man has to save the day from villains after they escape Oscorp. It’s up to Spider-Man to save the day once again, like always. It’s a fairly decent story, but it doesn’t do anything to give depth to our hero or the

characters in the story. It’s sort of like a story you would read in a short comic. It gets to the point but nothing crazy is done with the characters. The story does give a reason for Spider-Man to be going on all these missions. The story doesn’t do much to expand on the universe, but it works for what it is.

Graphics: This is an overall mixed bag. I felt like the game looked REALLY great, when the animations ran smoothly and the pop-in was minimal. But that’s my biggest gripe with the game: the amount of pop-in when flying through the city. When you stop moving and stare at the grand city, it inspires awe. But when you’re flying through the city, so many pop-ins occur that I couldn’t help but get a bit annoyed at it. It maybe be possibly due to the restrictions of the Xbox, but I couldn’t get into it, seeing the entire game load as I enter an area. Overall, the art style looks good and Spider-Man looks phenomenal. The human character models look either good or okay, I personally finding Gwen and Dr. Connors to be quite good. The environments look great, especially the grand city, but the sewers

stood out to me, looking nice and moody. I just felt a bit confused at what this game was trying to be. I wish there was a definitive art style. If it tried to be grittier, I would have appreciated a darker style. If it were more fun and bubbly, I would have preferred more colors and possibly some cellshade. I just had no idea where the game was trying to go with this. Overall, good looking game. When the game looks good, it looks pretty darn impressive.

Gameplay: Here is a bit of a mixed bag. This game tried to OBVIOUSLY emulate the style of gameplay as seen in Batman: Arkham Asylum. To be quite honest, it makes more sense in a Spider-Man game. The problem is, Batman did it better. The combat had a good flow, there was a rhythm, and the animations looked fantastic. I would expect this game to be EVEN BETTER seeing as they had more time to work with it. But no. The combat felt a bit repetitive at times due to the same animations over and over again. I would have preferred some more style in it. Also, it didn’t feel quite as satisfying as I thought it would. Batman ...

• The Amazing Spider-Man for Xbox 360
      has spoiled me, and I expected more. The problem was that a sense of incredible power and weight in combat wasn’t there, but it was fun to watch. I just wish it were more diverse. Like Batman, there was also stealth sections, which I felt were very natural and fun. The problem, again, I felt was that stealth lacked diversity. Batman was able to do a multitude of takedowns while Spider-Man has a total of 5 or something. It just felt like doing the same thing over and over again. These complaints are all small, but all these things really do add up to the enjoyment of the game. The new feature of web-rush totally makes up for everything in this game. This is where you are able to use your spider-sense and dictate where you want Spidey to go. This was an absolute blast to use. Also, web slinging felt so smooth and natural and intense. The camera angle really worked for this game. I loved it, when pop-in was minimal. When you’re done with the game, there are many different side missions to take on, but if you play for too long, it will feel repetitious. A small complaint as well. Still, fun gameplay hindered
      by small, but noticeable things.

Sound: Sam Reigel, who did the voice of Spider-Man, is up there wish Josh Keaton, for the best Spider-Man voice actor ever. He did a pitch perfect job as Spidey. You could laugh or take him seriously. Loved his voice. Everyone else did a stellar job as well. Voice acting was very good. As for the music, the music is so highly forgettable to the point of might as well downloading the old music from the old games and play it on your Xbox. (I personally love the soundtrack from Web of Shadows). Very boring music. Nothing stood out.

Overall: My expectations were almost met, but over time, small problems all cumulated to create a Spider-Man game that ALMOST hit the mark. Its short length did irk me, but it was a fun time while it lasted. This is definitely better than Spider-Man 2, but maybe it isn’t exactly an Ultimate Spider-Man. Still, it is quite fun when everything in the game works. I hope Beenox can look at all the mistakes and then expand on this game that was very close to being the best Spider-Man game of all time. Would wait for the price to go down, definitely worth a rent.

Chase says :

re : Also, it didn’t feel quite as satisfying as I thought it would
I agree that the game wasnt as satisfying as I thought it would be because I had my expectations for the game a little too high. If i wouldn’t have put so much thought into if this game would be good or not (setting my expectations lower) this game would be really fun and cool. One thing i noticed that bothered me, which really wasn’t that big of a deal, was that the webs that shoot out of spider mans hands did not look real. Other then that the game was a ball.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 285071583480831/k2311a075/7.5.12