Huawei-M860 Ascend for Metro PCS  » Phones  »
1.0
  • I decided to purchase the Huawei-M860 Ascend with Metro PCS service, because I was getting sick and tired of the company raising the rates on data plans for the Blackberry

• by Neil Ashmon

I decided to purchase the Huawei-M860 Ascend with Metro PCS service, because I was getting sick and tired of the company raising the rates on data plans for the Blackberry. I had already seen the commercials, so I knew that I wanted to try an Android phone.

When I got to the store; I immediately saw that the Huawei-M860 Ascend was on sale for $99, because of the signs that were prominently displayed outside, even before you get into the store. That was good news for me, since my mission in the first place was to save money, and

at only $99; I was at least going to give it a try.

The phone was fairly easy to set up right out of the box. I was able to set up and sync my email accounts & contact list fairly easily, but that is where my praise for this phone ceases. The over sensitivity of the touch screen key board and the touch screen interface, in general, leaves much to be desired. Sometimes it responds to links that were not clicked, making me have to constantly use the back button for the browser to reload the previous page again.

When typing a text message or composing an email (which are the primary function that I use my phone for) there is a delay far to often, between when I tap a particular key and when the corresponding character appears on the screen. In fact, I have been typing away, and then looked up at the screen to discover that the phone was behind by several words; yes several words!

On top of this, the camera on this so called smart phone isn’t smart at all; not by the longest stretch of the imagination. Even on a bright sunny day ...

• Huawei-M860 Ascend for Metro PCS
      the picture quality is horrible; dull, dark and not sharp. I have used many cell phone cameras before, but this one ranks right at the bottom of the list for quality.

Moving right along; I must talk about the speed of this phone. I am convinced that this is one of the main reasons that Metro PCS was forced to put the Huawei-M860 Ascend on sale. To begin with; the speed and responsiveness of this phone on the Android 2.2.2 operating system is very slow. Add two or three extra running applications to the mix, and the phone goes into

snail mode, becoming almost impossible to use. Subsequently, the applications crash almost on cue. If I have Pandora running and forget to close it before opening my eBay application to check on an auction, it’s time to prepare for a crash.

After using this phone for a few months and being a constant victim of it’s quarks and kinks; I decided to get rid of it, and save myself the headache of losing even more money, because of my decrease in productivity due to this phone’s inability to stably perform simple but vital functions, such as typing a message for crying out loud.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 374071583240131/k2311a074/7.4.12