East Town Spa  » Business  »
718 East Wells Street Milwaukee WI 53202
  • I had no problem calling to set up my appointment
  • It was definitely a bit of an awkward experience
  • I would probably not come back to East Town Spa for a pedicure but I would consider returning for a massage and facial
  • I do not recommend having a pedicure here if you want to relax during it
  • I also was a bit disappointed to find that each of my services were only 30 minutes long

• by cmurray081981

I purchased a great Groupon deal for a combined spa pedicure, massage and facial at East Town Spa located in downtown Milwaukee. It was the first time I’d been to that spa though I used to live in the area and knew of its existence. The building itself is a very distinctive pink Victorian and it’s hard to miss. I had no problem calling to set up my appointment. After a stressful few months at work I was ready for some pampering.

I made my appointment midday on a Wednesday and it was very empty when I arrived for my appointment. The seating area is very nicely arranged. I liked that the chairs weren’t scattered all around in a way that makes it seem as though the owners of the business care more about presenting their products for sale than making their clients comfortable while they wait. I checked in and was told my massage was scheduled that day. I misunderstood and thought I was scheduled for the massage only when I wanted to have the pedicure and facial done the same day as well. The woman at the reception desk, who could also have been the owner or manager, quickly and calmly assured me I would receive all appointments same day. I was pleased with the demeanor

even though I’d misunderstood them. I was quickly offered something to drink and asked for tea. They gave me loose tea in hot water, which got stuck in my teeth and left behind an odd aftertaste. I would have asked for water or coffee if I’d known that was how the tea was served, which I’ve never before experienced.

My masseuse was very polite and personable and made small talk on the way down to the basement area where the spa was located. The building is a very pretty old mansion and the basement has a bit of an eerie vibe to it, but the way it’s decorated minimizes the creepiness. The basement spa is dark and windowless brick and has unusual arches and curves. For some people it might have been hard to maneuver but I’m quite short so I had no issues. My massage was very invigorating. I asked for a Swedish massage but it felt more like deep tissue. It was a bit more painful and intense than I’d wanted but soon I settled into it. It felt very relaxing on my sore muscles though I did get a headache afterwards from the pressure she put on my already sore neck.

Next was my facial and my aesthetician was superb. That was the most relaxing facial ...

• I’d ever had. East Town Spa is an Aveda spa and they used those products with the patented Pure Fume fragrance which was particularly calming. I could have easily gone into a deep sleep afterwards. The only thing I didn’t care for was the oils she used on my already oily face. It felt like I needed to wash it off my face for it to feel clean again.

Finally, I had my pedicure session. The nail tech took about 10 minutes to arrive and seat me at their pedicure station which was a bit off putting but it gave me a chance to select a color. Finally she greeted me and brought me over and got right to work. She did not talk much, even when I tried to make conversation and so I gave up trying and spent the entire time on my phone instead. It was definitely a bit of an awkward experience. Also, the way the pedicure station is set up is very strange. Instead of having a comfortable chair to lean back in there is only a tiled bench and a bowl sink to put your feet in. I had to sit ramrod straight up and every time she needed to move from one foot to the other I had to strain to

keep sitting upright. It was very uncomfortable and even started to strain my leg muscles. I did not enjoy the pedicure experience at all, though she did do a nice job painting my toenails and the polish lasted several weeks.

I would probably not come back to East Town Spa for a pedicure but I would consider returning for a massage and facial. The services are a bit expensive though and since I’m trying to save money for my upcoming wedding I probably will have to forgo the unnecessary expense until around the big day for some stress relief. I do not recommend having a pedicure here if you want to relax during it. The nail station is just not set up correctly for a good spa experience. I also was a bit disappointed to find that each of my services were only 30 minutes long. I was not surprised since my Groupon deal was quite a bargain but I wish that was specified somewhere in the details. Finally, it was very easy to go back up to the receptionist and give her a bulk tip for all 3 service providers that she assured she could divide up according to the regular service pricing. All in all, this was a very relaxing and pleasant experience with the exception of the pedicure.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 414071583000131/k2311a074/7.4.12