3rd Ward Jewelry
241 N Broadway 1C Milwaukee WI 53202
  • I decided to head over to the store to view their selection in person
  • The store is actually located inside an art gallery which I found a bit unusual, but it was easy to find
  • It’s also located downtown which means it’s a challenge to find parking and it will cost you extra
  • What was very interesting about the rings they carry is that most of them are either 18 carat yellow gold or palladium
  • I’d consider purchasing day to day jewelry here but I’m not prepared to spend a few thousand dollars for most of these pieces

• by cmurray081981

I visited 3rd Ward Jewelry in downtown Milwaukee to look at engagement rings. They have a website listing the artists who supply them with their inventory and some basic information about each one, but not many examples of what they carry in store. The look and feel of the jewelry that was on the site was a bit crafty looking. Based on the jewelry appearance, I wasn’t even sure they would sell engagement rings so I emailed them to check. I got a response within a day from the owner saying they did in fact carry beautiful engagement rings and she included some links to the artists so that I could preview them before coming into the store.

I took a look at the links and while the sites did not seem to do the rings justice, they did have a very unique look to them. That was exactly what I was looking for. I had looked at a lot of chain jewelry stores and found cookie cutter designs that I would assume most people are picking for their rings. I decided to head over to the store to view their selection in person. The store is actually located inside an art gallery which I found a bit unusual, but it was easy to find. It’s also located downtown which means it’s a challenge to find parking and it will cost you extra.

What was very interesting about the rings they carry is that most of them are either 18 carat yellow gold or palladium. Most rings at other jewelry stores are platinum or 14 carat white gold. I thought it was interesting that the yellow gold rings had a brushed appearance as well, and not a shiny appearance as was typical of yellow gold. They more closely resembled copper than gold. The rings were certainly different. Many had curved bands with matching wedding bands as opposed to the common plain straight band with inset diamonds. Others had a thicker band on the engagement ring itself with small diamonds set in the band in a zigzag pattern with a larger center stone that set off the accent diamonds. You could mix and match wedding bands with engagement rings from all of the artists who typically supplied wedding sets. One band caught my eye and I put it together with another artist’s engagement ring and it looked very pretty and distinctive. I would bet no one else had the same set, and the owner herself said she’d never seen the two put together before and agreed it was very pretty. She also said the benefits of working with independent artists are that you can easily customize the rings. If I found one I liked but wanted a larger center stone or a different cut, it would not ...

• be any problem to modify the design. This was a great option since one ring I liked had a very small center stone and I certainly would have wanted at least a 0.75 carat sized diamond. However, it’s difficult to visualize what the ring might look like until it was completed. In that case we’d have already paid a significant amount of money for the ring before we’d know if we liked it or not.

My fiance was out of town, so after I’d finished looking at the rings she carried I told her we might be back to look again. She promised to email me pictures of the rings I had liked within the next few days. While I did get a response from her, she did not include pictures of the two sets of engagement rings and wedding bands I’d liked the most as she promised. She only sent me the name of one of the artists saying one engagement ring I’d liked was on her blog and I could view it there. She told me the other rings were listed in the links she’d first emailed me when I asked if they carried engagement rings. She provided me with the name of the rings and bands the artist gave them but I would have to weed through pages of rings to find the ones I had liked in store and

they wouldn’t all be in one email for easy reference. I can understand that she may be very busy but in my opinion if you promise a customer you’re going to do something, you should follow through with it. If you don’t have time to do it, then don’t offer.

While not emailing me pictures is not something that would make or break the sale for me, and I did love the unique design of the rings that they carried, I ended up finding something else that I really loved at another jewelry store. I just did not think I would be able to look at any of these rings 20, 30 or 40 years down the road and not think that they were now out of style or that I would still love them as much as I would when I first looked at them. If you really enjoy very unique jewelry, want to support independent artists or love the look of burnished gold or want palladium rings you may love the jewelry offered in this store. I’d consider purchasing day to day jewelry here but I’m not prepared to spend a few thousand dollars for most of these pieces. Overall, the owner was very nice and attentive but I just couldn’t imagine purchasing my engagement ring here. The styles are just a bit too crafty and subject to changing trends and preferences.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4528061582210830/k2311a0628/6.28.12