Thrifty Car Rental (Port Elizabeth and Cape Town Airports, South Africa)  » Car rental  »
Allister Miller Drive Port Elizabeth 6001, South Africa
  • After comparing prices between car rental and buses (and weighing the pros and cons of each) for my trip to South Africa, I decided for the price difference, the freedom of renting a car was worth paying a bit more
  • I looked into several car rental companies and finally decided on Thrifty for a number of reasons, and I was very satisfied with the overall experience
  • Maybe this isn't always so, but when I compared prices through a number of sites, including through AAA, I found that Thrifty was considerably cheaper and more flexible than other car rental companies
  • Thrifty was the best choice because they offered affordable cars in a variety of sizes that were automatic
  • The only problem I had was that a light went on at times when I was driving, and I think it was because they hadn't changed the oil as they should have

• by Melanie Noell

After comparing prices between car rental and buses (and weighing the pros and cons of each) for my trip to South Africa, I decided for the price difference, the freedom of renting a car was worth paying a bit more. I looked into several car rental companies and finally decided on Thrifty for a number of reasons, and I was very satisfied with the overall experience.

The first benefit of Thrifty is the price. Maybe this isn’t always so, but when I compared prices through a number of sites, including through AAA, I found that Thrifty was considerably cheaper and more flexible than other car rental companies. Hertz was the absolute worst - even with a AAA discount, it was over a hundred dollars more for their cheapest option. Thrifty was the best choice because they offered affordable cars in a variety of sizes that were automatic. There was only one other company that came close on price, and it was for a stick shift car, which

I haven’t driven in years. I was also able to get a car of decent size (a Nissan Tiida) for less than the smallest option through Hertz. Additionally, they weren’t as strict on their requirements as some other rental companies (one company required two different major credit cards and a much higher deposit.)

Another big factor in choosing Thrifty was their driver’s license policy. When renting a car in South Africa, you need to have held an English-written license for at least two years minimum and have proof of that. I needed to renew my license before leaving which would mean my license would only show that I had had the license for a few weeks. When I called Thrifty, they were the most knowledgeable about alternate forms of proof of licensure than any other company. They also agreed that a certified copy of my driving record was sufficient as proof of how long I had held a license. Which was great since Georgia revokes your old ...

• license when you get a new one! It did take a lot of being transferred here and there to get a sufficient answer, but they were the one company that really took the time to find out an actual answer for me so there were no surprises when I showed up to rent my car.

When I actually arrived in South Africa, I was surprised at how quickly and easily my rental was handled. They took my license, made a copy, charged my card and had me sign off on a contract for use of the vehicle. I had been so worried about all the documentation and International Driver’s Permit, and they actually didn’t require any of that stuff. I’m guessing by my age, you can guess I’ve had a license longer than a few weeks, but it was such a relief!

The employee at Thrifty helped me get my luggage into the car which was a huge help since my bag was very heavy. I gave him

a tip, although I wasn’t sure if that’s common practice. (It does seem to be in South Africa.) They did a quick inspection with me to show where the car had scratches and dents - I admit it was not the nicest, newest car! - and had me sign off. The whole process took maybe 20 minutes, and I was on my way. The only problem I had was that a light went on at times when I was driving, and I think it was because they hadn’t changed the oil as they should have. It’s a small detail considering how simple the rest of the transaction was.

Returning the car was a breeze. The employees were very helpful and checked over the car. They didn’t mind that I had a bag of trash in the car, and I didn’t get charged for anything. They also didn’t charge me for the GPS I loaned, which was fantastic.

My experience with Thrifty was great, and I will definitely rent with them again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 327061581910830/k2311a0627/6.27.12